Author Topic: Link: Sussex Institutions  (Read 2857 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Link: Sussex Institutions
« on: Saturday 01 May 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hellingley Mental Asylum Photographs of a now abandoned Hospital.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060708074622/http://www.explorationstation.co.uk/hellingly.html
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline lesweston

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Sussex Institutions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 04 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootsweb,
From the stories I heard in the '50's about Hellingly Assylem, there was quite a few inmates who should never have been there. Some of them were not mad as the name 'Assylem' suggests, but a disease that couldn't be cured in those days, or even a disability and couldn't be looked after, so the councils dubbed them as imbisiles or idiots.
After taking a tour round the link, I could imagine folks wandering around like zombies and the people that died there, then 'Most Haunted' sprung to mind.

Merry Christmas to all the staff at Rootsweb.

LES WESTON, Eastbourne.
EVES, BROOM of STONE, KENT.<br />WESTON, FREEMAN and EDWARDS<br />of Eastbourne.<br />PAGE of Kirkcaldy, Scotland.<br />PERKINS,BLABER,WHITE,CREAD,HURD,WRAIGHT,CRISP,PHELPS, RAFFETTY. All Sussex<br />CHELL of Donnington,Yorkshire.<br />LONDON,HUTTON of Middlesex.<br />WEBER of Germany.

Offline fozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Sussex Institutions
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
Les

One of my relatives died in Hellingly Hospital and no he wasn't mad just covered with eczema.
My grandparents were so ashamed they tried to have Hellingly taken off the death cert without success.

Fozzie
Wenham,Foster,Easton, Bishop, Bannister,
Hazelman, Franks