Author Topic: is this a militiary badge  (Read 1381 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
is this a militiary badge
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 04:38 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my 3xgreat grandfather in uniform however dont know where the uniform is from.  This is a close up of badge on hat.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: is this a militiary badge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 05:08 BST (UK) »
At a guess I'd say It's Durham Light Infantry but what era I wouldn't know. You'll have to hang on for one of the experts it's a bit early yet for those Northern Hemisphere jokers.

Alan NZ

Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
The badge you show here is definitely from a Volunteer Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry, but may not be the same as the one on the main photo in your other post.  Details would differ according to the battalion number.  Uniforms and badges were largely designed locally and could be very ornate.
The Volunteers were mostly formed around 1860 as local groups of Rifle Volunteers, and continued until the early 1880s when they became Volunteer Battalions of their local county regiments, with numbers such as " 1st Volunteer Battalion, Durham Light Infantry".  The DLI probably had several of these Volunteer Battalions based in different parts of the county.  All were part-time and by no means part of the regular army.
In 1908 the Volunteers were all disbanded and the Territorial Force was formed, with many re-enlisting in the new units.
Your photo is likely to be from the 1880-1908 period, but others will probably know more about the fine detail.
A

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne

Very nice. It is a Queen Victoria Crown helmet plate. A view of the whole picture would be nice. That would help to get an idea of it's size.

Does it say 55 or 155? I haven't heard of either. Normally they would only be in the range 1st to say 10th VB, even for a larger regiment than the Durham Light Infantry. The Volunteers were reintroduced in 1857, but they would not have been made part of the DLI until the 1880s.

PS...I have just seen your other post. I don't believe it is the same badge as shown on the larger photograph. The four stripes over his right cuff shows a Senior NCO/Staff Sergeant. The badge above the four stripes will show which one.

The various VB/TF/Militia units usually had full-time senior NCOs from the Regulars. Have you found him in the census as a soldier, and have you looked for his service papers? And were any of his children born in exotic places?

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Could it say 1ST ?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
You could be right Ady. The 1st VB were based in Stockton on Tees.

Ken

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of my 3xgreat grandfather in uniform however dont know where the uniform is from.  This is a close up of badge on hat.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Regards
Lynne

I'm intrigued....

The pic you have put up appears to be a "modern" one....And not taken from a old pic itself...Do you have the helmet plate in your possession??

It also looks like it has been placed on a black foam backing...Not the VB stlye hat one would expect....

And I hate to say this....But....It does look like a repro! :o :o

As has already been said...The original pic to which you refer would be of great assistance!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.