Author Topic: William Jordan -- looking for ancestry info  (Read 16619 times)

Offline Canada529

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Jordan -- looking for ancestry info
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
I am bruce.5291 on ancestry.ca.  My grandfather was Frank Jordan (1883, St. Neots, Hunts) who emigrated to Canada in 1912 followed in 1913 by his wife Mabel Lizzie Facer (1887, Eynesbury, Hunts) and son (my father).  Frank was the son of William Facer (1856, Southoe, Hunts) and Georgina Collins (1858, Diddington, Hunts).  William was the son of John Jordan (1836, St. Neots, Hunts) and Emma Jackson (1838, Bedfordshire), both of whom died shortly after William's birth (in 1941 census he was residing with grandfather, Joseph).  John was the son of Joseph Jordan (1798, Stonely, Hunts) and Mary (1803, Southoe, Hunts.  If you can provide any details, sources of more info, etc., I would be grateful.  I am posting this in the Huntingdonshire section also.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Jordan -- looking for ancestry info
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
  I am posting this in the Huntingdonshire section also.

This is the Huntingdonshire section?????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Stonely is a hamlet of Kimbolton, so that's where you need to be looking for Joseph's baptism. There's no transcript available from Hunts FHS but, unlike many Hunts parishes, Kimbolton parish register and the Bishop's transcripts have been filmed by the LDS so are available to order and view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre (there's a list at www.familysearch.org). Looking at the film description 1799 baptisms appear to be missing from the parish register, so you may need to view the BTs as well.

Joseph JORDAN married Mary WATTS at Southoe in 1818 (source: Hunts Marriage Index). The position with Southoe parish register is the same as Kimbolton - not on IGI or BVRI, no transcript available to purchase, but registers have been filmed by LDS

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
The marriage of a John Jordan and an Emma Jackson is on the IGI at www.familysearch.org on 30 Sep 1855 at Old Church, St Pancras, London. On your tree your citation is FreeBMD, implying that you haven't seen the marriage certificate. I always get worried when someone from one part of the country marries someone from a different part, in a third place unrelated to the previous two! If you get the marriage cert you'll get fathers' names, and places of residence at the time of the marriage.

For whatever reason they may have skipped down to London to marry and stayed there for the required number of weeks so that they both show on the certificate as being of this parish. But at least you get fathers' names which would help confirm that John was from Southoe and Emma from Eaton Bray. What's the evidence that it was Emma Jackson from Eaton Bray who married John Jordan? There are 271 Emma Jackson baptism entries on the IGI - if they met in London Emma could have been from anywhere in the country.

John Jordan age 20 was buried at Southoe on 26 Sept 1856 (per National Burial Index). But how sure are you that the Emma Jordan buried in Bedford registration district in 1856 was Emma from Southoe? There was an Emma Jordan born in Bedford registration district in the March quarter 1853 who I can't see in the 1861 census. And Eaton Bray isn't in Bedford registration district.

Do you have William's 1856 birth cert? (I assume you have as you quote a precise birthdate, and this is also presumably where you got his mother's maiden name from)

David

Offline Canada529

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.  Yes, I do have William Jordan's birth certificate, identifying John Jordan and Emma Jackson as his parents.  I need to send for John and Emma's marriage certificate, as that should include father's names (perhaps mothers also).
Bruce

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Just fathers' names. Mothers' names have never been included on English marriage certs

David

Offline brian57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
John Jordan & Emma Jackson were my gg grandparents.
William Jordan, their only son, was born 6th Jan 1856 in Southoe & was brought up by his grandparents Joseph & Mary.
John died 23 Sep 1856, aged 20, in Southoe from typhoid fever.
I think John & Emma were probably married in St Pancras because she would have been about 5 months pregnant at the time.
I haven't yet worked out where & when Emma was born & whether she too died young or whether she left William with his grandparents and went off to remarry.  I suspect she too died young from typhoid.

Below is the address of my family tree webpage if it helps anyone.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/j/o/r/Brian-Jordan-5/

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

Welcome to Rootschat!

Whilst looking at your webpage I noticed that you have a few Young entries from Henlow, my birthplace. I too have a John Young son of Thomas Young baptised at Henlow in 1593. They must be connected to yours - now I'll have to work out how!

David

Offline Andrew Jordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have only just started to try to build my family tree and have come across your post, my Great grandfather was a william Jordan who live in Kimbolton as did my grandfather Hugh Reuben Jordan. my information on my ancesters is very small at the moment and if we are related any help would be greatly recieved and if you would like any from myself feel free to ask, thanks Andrew Jordan