Author Topic: Ann Bee of Sevenhampton? - Help Please  (Read 4008 times)

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Bee of Sevenhampton? - Help Please
« on: Monday 27 July 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one please.

Ann Bee (according to the census data) was born in Sevenhampton in Gloucestershire around 1802.
I have no information on her family and would be very grateful if anyone could help me please.

She married a James Collin In Whickham in County Durham in 1830. Their children were named John, Charlotte Ann, William Robinson, Isabella, James and Thomas. As her husbands parents were called Robinson and Isabella, I wondered if John and Charlotte may be clues to her parents names, although this is purely conjecture.

I have looked in the census records for any other Bees in County Durham to see if I could find anyone who could possibly be her parents, but no one seems to hail from Gloucestershire.

Any help with this one would be gratefully received........

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Bee of Sevenhampton? - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
You will find a veritable hive of Bees in Sevenhampton at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(N-Z).htm#S

I have not checked them so leave that for you, it should be interesting at least.

Good hunting

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
P.S.

Bear in mind that Hannah is often shortened to Ann - the Hebrew root means grace - and there are over a dozen dimunutives.

Chas
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG

Offline jeffery1_6

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chas for that info and very useful link.........I've had a look and there is a Sarah or Anne Bee (they can't seem to be able to decipher her first name) christened on 12th Oct 1800, parents James and Anne.

In 1796 they had another daughter christened Charlotte.

There is also a Hannah, christened  on 24th July 1803, parents John and Hannah. If she had shortened her name to Ann in the census, would it be possible that she would have also used Ann to register her marriage? Would this have been common practice?

I feel sure that the names of her eldest children (John and Charlotte Ann) may give some clue but I'm not sure the link is obvious at the moment.

Would there be any nearby parishes/towns/villages where she may have been christened just in case Sevenhampton was where she grew up but not where she was born/christened?

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
You can find nearby places to Sevenhampton (or anywhere else) by using Genuki. Work your way through the menus via England, Gloucestershire, then Sevenhampton. When you reach the Sevenhampton page you will find a link to nearby places at the top lefthand side. You can adjust the distance according to your needs.

For anyone who doesn't use Genuki, it really is invaluable in all kinds of ways. Although it can look a bit daunting at first it's more than worth the initial effort of finding your way about it. Just google Genuki to find it.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
I find the parish locator programme Parloc useful for finding parishes near to each other.  Go to http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/parlocdl.html to download the free prog.  It has other info. too.

Chas

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean about Sarah or Ann.  The only way I can think of to check it is to search the appropriate film of the BT's given as the Source Call No below the names or hope sombody can look at the info given in PR's.

LDS films cost £7.50 to hire and search at any LDS FHC.  The loan period is three months.

Regards

Chas