Author Topic: Service family at Duns and Coldstream  (Read 16599 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Service family at Duns and Coldstream
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 August 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Well if i ever do link my Hay ancestors (starting right with my mother) to the Duns Castle family they also have a very distant link (by marriage if not by blood) to Nelson. I just thought i would drop that one in there very casually  :)

On a slightly more serious note, the main difficulty you may face when trying to get back beyond 1855 is where the records will be held, although Berwick records office is in England they do hold quite a bit of information for Berwickshire, but you may find the records you are wanting are held at the archives at Hawick.

If i can help with photographs around Coldstream just let me know, although Duns and Ladykirk aren't that far away i don't tend to head to them unless i have a specific reason.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 August 09 22:10 BST (UK) »

John married Janet Lothian in Duns in 1868, and their eldest daughter was born there early the following year, but it may well be his parents had gone elsewhere or died, possibly? By 1874, John had settled over the Border in Hebburn, where the couple's two younger children were born.

GD

I know you are looking at the Services but were the parents of Janet Lothian..... Thomas Lothian and Helen Henderson by any chance. If they were you have a match with my OH

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
Glen, access to records is always a big problem for me, as none of my ancestors have ever been natives of any of the counties I've lived in...very selfish of them!! It does limit my research rather, but it's amazing what you can unearth via the internet and email, with a little persistence and a lot of helpful people. Talking of which, thanks for your offer re photos, that's very kind of you.

I like the casual name-dropping  ;D You could always write a book called 'The Ancestors I Might Have Had.' Actually, my Services are turning out to be one of my most interesting lines, as far as links with famous people go, even if it is only by association, and not blood! The name Service comes from the French words 'cerveise' meaning ale or beer, and 'servir', to serve, originally an occupational name given to a brewer or tavern keeper, I've discovered, so nothing to do with being 'in service.'

Oh, wow, Terry, yes! Those are indeed Janet's parents. I managed to find siblings Agnes, Mary, Margaret, and Elizabeth, but that's as far as I've got. Who is your OH descended from?

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi GD

My OH 3g grandparents were Thomas Lothian and Helen Henderson. He is descended from their son Adam, brother to your Janet.

I have quite a lot of info on the Lothians, here's Thomas and Helens Children

Agnes 21/12/1823 Dalkeith....Adam 30/11/1824 Dalkeith....William 03/12/1826 Westruther....Agnes 14/9/1828 Westruther....James 27/5/1830 m Helen Muir 20/03/1857 Earlston (and family)...Thomas 31/10/1832 w'ruther m Jane Tulloch....George 01/03/1835 w'ruther m Christina Bryden 4/6/1861 (and family)....Isabella 18/12/1836 m George Falconer (and family)GEORGE IS MY 1ST COUSIN 4 TIMES REMOVED)....Peter abt 1839 w'ruther....Helen abt 1840 W'ruther m James Tod (and family)....Walter Wood abt 1841 W'ruther m Isabella Stenhouse 9/6/1865 Smailholm (and family)....Mary 6/5/1843....Margaret 24/5/1845 W'ruther....Janet 24.3.1847 Westruther(yours) m John Service(I have 1 child, Ellen Henderson)...and finally Elizabeth 15/5/1849 w'ruther.

So 15 children in all that I found.

Father Thomas Lothian b 2/9/1802 d 8/8/1875 parents are Adam Lothian and Isabella Grieve, I have 6 children for them including Thomas.

Helen Hendersons b 25/5/1806 d 31/7/1881 parents were Adam Henderson b abt 1767 d 10/6/1841 and Agnes Dods b abt 1774 d 29/11/1853 , I have 9 children for them including Helen.  I know where Adam and Agnes are buried I would be able to get a photo of the gravestone if it's in not too bad condition

I also know where Thomas and Helen Henderson are buried so would be able to get a photo of their grave.

I have info on quite a few of the siblings of all these families and further down the line also...been researching this one quite a while.

Hope you can follow the ramblings

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Terry, that's marvellous! The least I can do is give you John and Janet's children's details:
Ellen Henderson b 12/01/1869, Duns, Berwick
Christiana or Christina Brown (just discovered this one last week!) born and died Mar Q 1872, Hebburn, County Durham
George Christopher b Mar Q 1874, Hebburn, County Durham
Christina Brown b 12/07/1880, Hebburn, County Durham

Ellen married Thomas Briggs, Sep Q 1886, Hebburn. Thomas was born in Scotland but I've no idea where. They had a total of 11 children though I've only identified 10 so far. If you'd like their details I'll pass them on.)

George married Sarah Ann Bridges, Sep Q 1898, Hebburn and had one daughter, Sarah Jane, born Dec Q 1899. He then died in Mar Q 1901, and his widow remarried in Dec Q 1901, to a George Mossop, in Gateshead.

Christina married James Curry (b 14/11/1875, Newcastle) in Dec Q 1900.
They had Elvera Preston, b Mar Q 1902, Hebburn m Joseph Lydon
Roberta Jane Davison, b 17/01/1904, Hebburn m James William Swinhoe (my grandparents)
James b 18/9/1908 m Hilda Crosby. He died of TB contracted while serving on the convoy ships in the Merchant Navy, 10/11/1945.
Christine b 2/06/1910 m William Roy Atkinson
Ada b 9/11/1914 m George Clark Whipps

My mum tells me James and Christina had a posh wedding with open horse-drawn carriages and all the trimmings, apparently. Elvera was brought up by grandparents John and Janet, as Christina was very ill after the birth of one of the younger children, and was a secretary at A. Reyrolle and Company in Hebburn, before her marriage. I have yet to find where the name Elvera originated from! 

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi GB

Thank you very much for the information, it will now go into my OH tree.  :)  :)

Funny how these things happen  :D  :D  :D

Terry

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 10:03 BST (UK) »
It's a pleasure! It's nice to be able to help you for a change  :D

Offline hebburnlad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching my surname , Lothian, for about nine years, Janet Service married to John Service was my G-G aunt, if you need any info I'll be glad to share it with you. My research starts in Westruther to present time Hebburn.
Walter Lothian

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you, Walter! Thank you very much for your kind offer. I'll pull out my notes on the Lothians as soon as I can get a minute and PM you, if that's O.K., as the Lothians are lumped in with the Services and Hendersons in my file. (We moved house in April, and I'm still not properly organised!!)  ::)