Author Topic: What information would there be on a 1853/54 birth record [Powell]  (Read 1187 times)

Offline curlywurly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What information would there be on a 1853/54 birth record [Powell]
« on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying (very unsucessfully) to find some more information about my x3 great grandparents William Powell and Mary Anne Powell nee Campbell as, as of yet, I have only been able to find their marriage certificate, which was at St Anne's, Belfast.

The question I would like to ask is, after searching a later census of their oldest daughter I found that she was the only child born in Ireland, in Belfast.

On searching online I found two entries:

Surname    Firstname    Year     Fathers Firstname    county
POWELL     LUCINDA     1853    WILLIAM                   Antrim
POWELL     LUCINDA     1854    WILLIAM                   Antrim

Before I commit to purchasing these, I was hoping that someone may be able to tell what sort of information I would get on a birth record for this date ie address' etc that may help in my research.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What information would there be on a 1853/54 birth record [Powell]
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Since civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864, the 1853 record you found must be from church records so it's very difficult to say what details would be listed. Often baptismal records from that date only list child's name, father's name, residence (townland or street) and date of baptism- if mother's name is listed it might only be her Christian name and not her maiden name but those are are general guidelines.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline curlywurly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What information would there be on a 1853/54 birth record [Powell]
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply and all the information you gave me. I found these two records on Ancestryireland.com. I think I will take a chance and obtain them and see what information it may bring...thanks again  :)