Author Topic: George Shanks - Denny Cemetery  (Read 4082 times)

Offline mark_shanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes Shanks & Son James Shanks
    • View Profile
George Shanks - Denny Cemetery
« on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello!  :)

I am researching the family tree and recently found out that my great grandfather George Shanks and great grandmother Agnes Shanks (m.s Waugh) were buried in Denny Cemetery.

I had no idea both were buried there since George was from Uphall, West Lothian and Agnes from Falkirk. George Shanks died in Herbertshire Street, Denny in 1912 and Agnes remarried George Moffat. So her name was Agnes Moffat at the time of death in Caronglen Cottage, Dunipace in 1927.

I now know, from contacting Falkirk Council, the lairs are Secton B 218 and 219 in Denny Cemetery and as I'm from Bonnybridge I spent a few hours yesterday walking round in circles trying to locate the lairs! I found Section B 210 then it went to B 300.  ???

George Shanks
Born: 24 May 1869 Uphall, West Lothian
Died: 29 Aug 1912 50 Herbertshire Street, Denny
Interred: Denny Cemetery - Section B, Lair 219

Agnes Shanks (m.s Waugh) later Agnes Moffat
Born: 10 Sept 1872, East Bridge Street, Falkirk
Died: 16 Apr 1927, Caronglen Cottage, Dunipace
Interred: Denny Cemetery - Section B, Lair 218

Agnes remarried a George Moffat after the death of George Shanks

George SHanks moved from West Lothian to Falkirk and was a boarder at Robert's Wynd in Falkirk as a Blacksmith Journeyman in 1891.
In 1901 he is a Blacksmith residing in 34 High Station Road, Falkirk

I'm wondering if anyone could give any info on the cemetery - approx. where the lairs are? I'm not too sure if there are headstones or any kind of marker or not?

I have census, marriage details but any other info on both would be most welcome too!

Thanks in advance, hope I'm not being too taxing in my first posting on this great forum!

Mark
Shanks (West Lothian & Stirlingshire)
Waugh (Falkirk & Larbert, Stirlingshire)
Monaghan (County Galway, Ireland)
Hynes (County Galway, Ireland)
Sands (Perthshire, Stirlingshire)
Barrett (Ayrshire, Lanarkshire)
McKeown (Lanarkshire)
Marjoribanks (Perthshire & Stirlingshire)
Frame (Falkirk & Larbert, Stirlingshire)
McAlpine (Lanarkshire, Perthshire & Stirlingshire)
Madden (Galway, Ireland)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: George Shanks - Denny Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
hi mark

welcome to rootschat  :)

falkirk council has the following on their website -

denny cemetery A1199.014 1908-late 20th century index to burials -
includes chart of lairs and sections(badly torn  :( )

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline mark_shanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi ev!

Thanks for the welcome and the information, much appreciated!

I've lived nearby Denny in Bonnybridge for 34 years, all my life, and just found out on Tuesday from Falkirk Council that they were buried in Denny Cemetery!

I don't think there is a headstone or any marker on the lairs of Section B 218 & 219 but I'd like to put some flowers down. Only problem is that spent a while the other day looking and I couldn't find the lairs! The cemetery seems to be higgeldy piggeldy and jumbled in some areas!

I've just emailed Falkirk Council's bereavement services at their offices at Camelon Crematorium asking if they have a rough idea where Section B Lairs 218 & 219 are. So hopefully I'll get something back.

Again, cheers for the information!

Mark  :)
McKeown (Lanarkshire)
Madden (Galway, Ireland)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I don't think there's a stone marking either lair.

I've attached a map to show you where Section B is and then added another post to show 2 stones which are in that section.

I know exactly what you mean about "higgeldy-piggeldy" and "jumbled"!! When I heard that the new high school was to be built at Herbertshire, behind the cemetery, I went on a mission to photograph all the existing/legible stones before it ended up as an additional playground (or dogging school area). I used to take a pocket full of tiny wee stones and leave one on the ends of each row as I had photographed it - some bits appear to be in 'tiers', but they're actually like a spiral and unless I had done that, I would have literally ended up going round in circles trying to find where I'd left off on a previous visit.

Anne

P.S. If the image of the map doesn't download properly ..........

When you go into Denny Cemetery, follow the road round to the left until you get to the back of the wee stables in the field between the cemetery and the main road. If you stand with your back to the stables, facing you will be (on the left) a section of grass (Common ground) and Section B is the section to the right of that.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

The following 2 stones (CWGS's) are in Section B.

Martin Erskine's stone (top) is Section B, Lair 305 and John Mullen's stone is Section B, Lair 351 so you're looking for 'somewhere' in between.

Anne

Offline mark_shanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne, your a star!    :)

The arial image downloaded perfectly! I know what you mean about the new Denny High School being built next to the graveyard and I was thinking along the same lines!  :-\

I was over a few months ago taking photos other members of our family, on my mother's side, who are interred in there (Barrett & McKeown) and I noticed this visit to find the Shanks lairs that a number of gravestones in a certain section have been overturned and a few are broken since that previous visit.  :-[

On the info you gave me I noticed the military headstone for John Mullen the other day when I was over at the cemetery so at least I know I WAS looking in the right place after all!

All the best,

Mark

McKeown (Lanarkshire)
Madden (Galway, Ireland)