Author Topic: James Hammett's Gran?  (Read 11334 times)

Offline jiffer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hammett's Gran?
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. Hope you can help. My partner and I live in Main Road, Tolpuddle, in a house perported to have been James Hammett's Gran's house. It is said that he lived with his Gran for a period after returning home. Our local Archives office only goes back to the 1850's and have no information any further back. We have yet to try the Parish records to see if there is any information there. So, if you can offer any solid information as to whether he did live here with his Gran, it would be really appreciated. Hope you can help.

Cheers Jen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: James Hammett's Gran?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, and welcome to Rootschat. There are very many experts on this site who may be able to help you. A visit to the Dorset History Centre in Dorchester might be helpful, also contact the TUC Museum which I believe is in Tolpuddle. The DHC might well have an enclosure map of Tolpuddle, also the Martyrs were transported during the 1830s, so the 1841 census might enable you to find the house and see who lived there then.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
HI JEN...LOOKS LIKE THERE WAS ONLY ONE ROAD IN TOLPUDDLE IN 1841 AND OF COURSE NO HOUSE NUMBERS.  PAGE 2 IN 1841 CENSUS HAS A

JOHN HAMMETT AGE 66 BRICKLAYER
ELIZTH HAMMETT AGE 55
HANNAH HAMMETT AGE 15

STILL PAGE 2 BUT FURTHER ALONG THE ROAD
JAMES HAMMETT AGE 50 AG LAB
 ?     HAMMETT AGE 50
GEORGE HAMMETT AGE 8

INFO GIVES A RICHARD HAMMETT AND FAMILY AS ALSO LIVING IN THE ROAD ON PAGE 2 BUT I CANNOT SEE THEM?

SO ALTHOUGH THIS MAY NOT BE MUCH HELP :'(  SHOWS THAT HAMMETTS WERE IN THE ONLY ROAD IN TOLPUDDLE PRE 1850'S

BEST WISHES CHERYLE
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi jiffer,

If you'd stayed in the chatroom a bit longer we might have been able to help.

There are a load of Hammet's in Tolpuddle on the 1841 and 1851 censuse

Howdie (in the chatroom)
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Tjapaltjarri, Have you seen the thread about Dawson in Lincolnshire, most of them seem to come from Great Hale.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
James Hammett was born in 1811 and had a young son when arrested in 1834.
This appears to be him in 1841, although I haven't checked to see whether he married a Harriot :

James Hammet, 30+, ag lab, Y
Harriot Hammet, 30+, Y
George Hammet, 8, Y

No sign of a grandmother in the house (who could have been a Hammet or Foot, as his mother was a Foot), although James had been back for four years.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jiffer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
O.K. So it appears we may not be talking about his Gran, quite probably his Aunt. It seems that our house was built by George and William Hammett in 1855. We also now believe them to be his cousins. So, if he lived here it was probably with his aunt. We are also in the process of getting a photo of an elderly lady standing at the rear of our house who, according to info, was born here and died here aged 99 years. We have a historian visiting us next week and may have more news then.
Thanks to everybody,
Jen

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
It seems that our house was built by George and William Hammett in 1855. We also now believe them to be his cousins.

Are you sure it was George?

William and his two brothers, John and Richard, were builders/bricklayers in Tolpuddle. They were born in Ringwood, Hampshire as their father, Richard, married a girl from there; but they returned to live in Tolpuddle, almost next door to each other. Their father Richard died in 1852 (he is in the 1851 census as Richard Hamnett, 63, mason, living with his wife Elizabeth in Puddletown); and he was born in Tolpuddle. Another researcher states that he was born in 1778, but I haven't checked that.

In the 1851 census there is a John Hammett, 76 (ie bc 1774), a pauper bricklayer who may be Richard's brother and James the Tolpuddle Martyr's father (who was John I believe).

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
Believe we corresponded on this enquiry just after the rally this year.  Have you been able to see the deeds of the house yet?  Is it situated close to the Methodist Chapel?  It is more than likely that some lady descended from the half cousins of James Hammett TPM lived there.  It wouldn't have been any granny or auntie of James.  If you can get the names from the deeds, we can progress further.  Keep us informed.