Author Topic: County Boundaries 1862  (Read 3012 times)

Offline dtcairns

• RootsChat Extra
  • So these wee ones will know
    • View Profile
County Boundaries 1862
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 05:04 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather, Joseph Cairns, was born 1862 in Gilford.  He claimed Armagh as his home county, but Gilford is clearly within County Down today.  Joseph was married in Laurencetown in 1883.

I know only that Joseph's father's name was John, a farmer, and that Joseph had a brother named John.  Other than that, I have had no luck trying to trace the family within County Down.

Is there anyone who might know if Gilford was part of County Armagh in the 1860s or who can tell me what are the Armagh townlands that are close to Gilford?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Donn Cairns
Colorado Springs
CAIRNS/KERNS (Down or Armagh and Renfrewshire); DONALDSON (Down); QUIN (Armagh or Down); McBRIDE (Down); and SMYTH (Down).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: County Boundaries 1862
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Map section in Armagh Resources?
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,370088.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dtcairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have.

They are not helpful because I have to "guess" where one townland abuts another in a different county.  When looking at the PRONI maps, for example, for Armagh, where does Gilford fit?

Thanks anyway.

Donn
CAIRNS/KERNS (Down or Armagh and Renfrewshire); DONALDSON (Down); QUIN (Armagh or Down); McBRIDE (Down); and SMYTH (Down).

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
Donn,
        This may make life a little more difficult but there is a townland of GILFORD in Co. Monaghan. My knowledge of the area is poor but I think that it is near the Armagh border. However there are no Cairns listed in the Griffiths Valuation circa 1860.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
My folks claimed to have been from Armagh, but their family homes are definitely in Co. Down.  It might have to do with the market place they went to or where they registered BMD. 

I thought Gilford Townland people generally registered in Banbridge.  However, the townland Bleary was said to be in Gilford and most people from there registered in Lurgan.   Gilford seems to be a region, also.  Cairns are in the area, but my John and Joseph went to NZ.  I will check soon for other nearby Cairns as I may have noticed yours.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Joseph  married Rachel Donaldson and I thought the marriage took place at Tullylish Parish Church.  Is this correct?

You will have to search both Kearns and Cairns as both spellings are used.  If Joseph was a bleacher, possibly his father is John  Kearns of Clare, Co. Down as he might be well off.  John is the only John in Tullylish Parish in Griffiths.  PRONI records list him as both Cairns and Kearns and seem to indicate John's father was John.  Several other Cairns/Kearns are in Clare, but by 1901, only agric laborer (not farmer) William John & family  is there.  M. Cohen's book seemed to indicate that farmers were hard hit in Clare and moved away.

Tullylish parish church records would go back far enough to help you, but I know of no source for them except the church.  The Tullylish tape at the Mormon library is of Livingstons. 

Offline dtcairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 09 07:22 BST (UK) »
I have just found new information with help from the Renfrewshire, Scotland RootsChat forum.

From investigating the death, before they emigrated, of one of the children of Joseph and Rachel (Donaldson) Cairns, I discovered that Joseph's mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Ann Quin.

With that information, I have found on Emerald Ancestors that John Kerns and Elizabeth Ann Quin were married April 15, 1851 in the Loughgilly Church of Ireland, County of Armagh.

It is absolutely astounding how all of the people who participate on these boards have such a collective effect.

Donn Cairns
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Offline PSW28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 22 00:43 BST (UK) »
Townlands in gilford vicinity I know are:-

Ballymacanallan
Clare
Moyallen
Ballynagarrick
Ballydugan
Bleary.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 22 07:18 BST (UK) »
Townlands in gilford vicinity I know are:-

Ballymacanallan
Clare
Moyallen
Ballynagarrick
Ballydugan
Bleary.

This is the townland of Ballymacanallen in Tullylish civil parish, Co Down.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-lower-upper-half/tullylish/tullylish/ballymacanallen/

The other townlands are also in Tullylish.

Note that you have replied to an old thread from 2009.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo