Author Topic: Albert John WALKER, coachman, of Kensington  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert John WALKER, coachman, of Kensington
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 August 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did any of Charles Hixon's details fit from the marriage certificate details?

What goes on in the High court in central London that you are legally forced to admit since you have to produce the marriage certificate as evidence and what you later want to share with the church, congregation and your new husband's relatives and colleagues are quite a different matter. I doubt Laura was happy to share with the High Court her original name (it would be interesting to see who she claimed as her father on that certificate) but it was the marriage of Laura Walker nee Weston which was being dissolved, so it rather forced the issue, even though Laura may very well have been living as Laura Walker, single woman, since circa 1872.

At this point there is no evidence Albert John was in financial straits though depending on the nature of his last illness and how long he had been in the Kensington workhouse infirmary and whether this was a recurring problem his ability to earn might be increasingly impaired. The Kensington Infirmary would be the equivalent of a hospital. It later became known as St Mary Abbots Hospital.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LenD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 August 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Charles' details match up well. On the marriage certificate he is Charles Hixon, full age, widower, gasfitter of 2 Albert Terrace, father Thomas Hixon, upholsterer.

On Laura's first marriage certificate (to Albert John WALKER) she states her father to be Clement WESTON. There was no such person but her error was understandable. She was born to Celia (aka Cecilia) WESTON in Newchurch and her father named as Clement GALE. There was no marriage and Celia died when Laura was in her very early years. She would have been taken into care (I suspect) as Laura WESTON and told that her father was called Clement. Hence when she came to marry she quite naturally said that her father was Clement WESTON.

In the divorce documents she is referred to as Laura WALKER lawful wife of Albert John WALKER, formerly Laura WESTON, spinster.

regards

LenD

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Charles' older brother Edwin, on the IGI, went to live in Boston Lincolnshire and was an upholsterer.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LenD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Well at least the Hixon connection looks straightforward!

regards

LenD

Offline Smoosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi LenD,

I notice you wrote this 2-3 years ago, so I'm probably too late, but Henrietta Hixon (Charles Hixon's daughter) was my g-g-grandmother. I think I have some records relating to him - though you've probably done more research over the past few years! If you'd like me to have a look, please let me know. :)
Bullivant, Cann, Cozens, Hixon, Barnes

Offline LenD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
As it happens I rather rested upon my laurels after finally sorting out the fate of Albert John (and in the process establishing that my grandfather and all his siblings were illegitimate!). I would find any details of Charles Hixon and his marriage to Laura Walker most interesting.
I look forward to hearing from you.

LenD

Offline Smoosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again LenD,

Apologies for the late reply ... I realised the information I had was probably not of interest to you as none of it involves Laura (in fact, I didn't realise he remarried). Here is what I have, you never know, it may be of use:

1853 married Emma Heath in Paddington (his occupation: Cheesemonger, father Thomas Hixon, upholsterer)
1860 Henrietta’s birth (his daughter) lists him as Gas fitter (60 Campden Street, Kensington)
1879 Henrietta’s first marriage certificate lists him as Gas and Hot Water Engineer
1888 Henrietta’s second marriage certificate lists him as an Engineer.

I note Campden Street is just 2-3 streets away from Kensington Place so perhaps they knew each other before he and his family moved to Kensington Place?
Bullivant, Cann, Cozens, Hixon, Barnes

Offline LenD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 June 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information re Charles Hixon. I think it highly likely that they knew each other living so close by. It intrigues me that Laura should seek a divorce after so many years and I wonder if this was at Mr Hixon's request? That we will never know.

LenD