Author Topic: LINK - Bethersden, Biddenden, Cranbrook, Linton, Maidstone, Staplehurst, etc.  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi!

I am trying to find the christening/parents of Catherine LINK c1802 or 1803 who claimed to be born in Headcorn in three censuses but appears NOT to have been christened there.

Other spellings apparently include Lynk, Lynke, Linke, Lenke, Lank, Links, etc.

I would be grateful if anyone could take a look for her in neighbouring parishes: Bethersden, Biddenden, Chart Sutton, Cranbrook, Cross-at-Hand, East Sutton, Frittenden, Hawkenbury, Linton, Maidstone, Marden, Sissinghurst, Smarden, Standen, Staplehurst, Sutton Valence and so-on.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could look at the christening records for approx 1802/3 for one or more of these places.

Thanks very much!  :)

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline marcuswraight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LINK - Bethersden, Biddenden, Cranbrook, Linton, Maidstone, Staplehurst, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
I know this does not directly answer your question, but it could be we have a family connection - and wanted to share with you what I have.

One of my great grandparents married a Kitty Link, daughter of George and Mary Link, of Bethersden. Kitty died on 21 April 1858. They had one son, William, born c1858.  I have yet to find out why she died, but my guess is childbirth. William survived.  There is also an inscription on the headstone of George and Mary's grave, listing their children as Mary, Maria, George Charlotte, Kitty, Henry, Sarah, Eliza Charles and Jane.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LINK - Bethersden, Biddenden, Cranbrook, Linton, Maidstone, Staplehurst, etc.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
The Mid Kent Marriage Index might throw up a few possibles for her parents:

http://www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Indeed. 

She could well be the child of John Link and Elizabeth Elvey, Samuel Link and Elizabeth Bensted, Stephen Link and Mercelina Igglesden or George Link and Mary Goodwin, but there is no record of her being christened in Headcorn apparently (unless the entry is now illegible and has been left out of transcripts).

Since Mary Goodwin was apparently from Headcorn and there is no christening there in transcripts, people have argued she is not George and Mary's child, although, of course, they could have lived somewhere else for the first few years after their marriage.  (Eg in George's birthplace - Bethersden.)

Bethersden and Great Chart would be good places to look, as would Linton (Stephen Link's birthplace).

Any of these couples could have lived somewhere else round there for a while and if she was the eldest daughter she might have been christened in the mother's birthplace. 

This was apparently Headcorn in two cases but the mid-Kent marriages web site does not give this information and its owner was not helpful - despite someone suggesting I should e-mail him and ask!

Hence my rather general question about anyone with any of these PRs - or other ones nearby - taking a look for her being christened in 1802 or 3 or thereafter!

I hope this explains the question!  :)

Therese.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
This site is great for finding out what records have been transcribed for Kent parishes

http://www.our-families.info/module.php?mod=OF_fam_hist&page=Kent%20Parish%20Registers

Bethersden Baptisms are on the IGI - batch number I013330

Linton baptisms are also on the IGI
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks! 

That's a great site - several of my ancestors are in his tree (not least the Rabbitts).  What a HUGE amount of work he's done!

I'll take another look at it to see whether I might have missed anything.

By the way, I just found a burial record for "Marcelona Link" for 1794, the year after she married Stephen Link (in the non conformist register at the National Archives according to bmdregisters.co.uk), so no wonder there's no record of any children. 

She could well be the Marcelina Igglesden shown on LDS/IGI as born on 16 August 1766 at "Baptist, Headcorn", parents John and Marcelina.  (And Stephen Link might, perhaps, have gone on to marry Fanny and have two children christened at the Week Street Independent Chapel, Maidstone.)

I also found a bastardy order for Stephen Link of Linton, vs
Frances Pearce, dated 1824 in the National Archives index. 

Not sure these can possibly all relate to the same person, but it's quite interesting anyway!

Have a nice Bank Holiday weekend - it's suddenly freezing and very autumnal here.  :(

Therese.

Offline honeybee55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 00:04 GMT (UK) »
hi.  this is the first time on roots. i notice you have some homewoods that you have researched. my grandad was luke homewood. b1894. hadlow kent. his father was reuben. b1822. his father was harber b 1789.  is there any connection here .
many thanks. lorraine
trestain--cornwall--enfield--london
homewood--kent--sussex
hards--kent
farrow--norfolk--london.
chalmers--lambeth--london

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I think so.  Hard to forget a name like Harber/Harbour Homewood!  I shouldn't imagine there were two or more born that year.

You'll find him and his numerous siblings on IGI - they are from Rotherfield in Sussex.

Or - even quicker, there's a really useful tree at:

http://www.theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4740542

Harber is towards the bottom, in the row labelled "Grandfather record" on the right hand side. 

Click on his name and it takes you to page http://www.theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4740410 for Harber himself.  Reuben c1822 isn't listed but there is a large time gap where he would fit in.

I've spoken to the chap who put this tree together and do wonder slightly whether the generations prior to Rotherfield are accurate, but the stuff from the Rotherfield Parish Register is probably okay - especially given all the eccentric names!

I'm descended from Harber's brother William c1779.

All the best,

Therese.