Author Topic: Todmorden - Horsfall - some questions  (Read 11717 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Todmorden - Horsfall - some questions
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 August 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been away for a couple of days. Unfortunately work sometimes takes me away from this genealogical research.
I think the Huddersfield Horsfalls were another family altogether: I've looked at them before and can find no connection between my Todmorden Horsfalls and the Horsfalls in other parts of Yorkshire. Though it is possible that all the Horsfalls originated - way back - in Todmorden. There is apparently an area of Todmorden called Horsfall, and there is a Horsfall House, an old stone house whose picture someone sent me a while ago.
The link you sent for the 1796 Court Records is definitely worth following up: although James Horsfall was not an uncommon name, it was the name of Abraham's grandson, mentioned by name in his 1806/7 will - so James is likely to have been an adult at the time.
I think the next Horsall job for me is to make a list of all marriages involving Horsfalls with the names mentioned in Abraham's will, then to look at the baptisms to see how many children these marriages produced. There are patterns of names - Philip, for instance,  turns up quite regularly in the later family story.
Thanks again for your interest and expertise
Ian

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 August 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Yes! Work comes first! Just got back from Halifax Library and on film I've looked at Todmorden Christ Church  1755-57 and St Mary 1755 up to 1760 when all the records went in Christ church register 1761 onwards. Sorry! to say! No Horsfall baptism! of (Fullstop)any first names (Child ) or any Fathers  Names (Strange???)

Rastrick Abraham senior  1759 marriage a couple more of the missing 5 bapts of Abraham Marriage Hep 1755  FIT.There are two Bapts James of Abraham in Rastrick one 1755 and one 1760 -Yet one marriage 1759.

food for thought !

Good hunting**********************one day!

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been away for a couple of days. Unfortunately work sometimes takes me away from this genealogical research.
I think the Huddersfield Horsfalls were another family altogether: I've looked at them before and can find no connection between my Todmorden Horsfalls and the Horsfalls in other parts of Yorkshire. Though it is possible that all the Horsfalls originated - way back - in Todmorden. There is apparently an area of Todmorden called Horsfall, and there is a Horsfall House, an old stone house whose picture someone sent me a while ago.
The link you sent for the 1796 Court Records is definitely worth following up: although James Horsfall was not an uncommon name, it was the name of Abraham's grandson, mentioned by name in his 1806/7 will - so James is likely to have been an adult at the time.
I think the next Horsall job for me is to make a list of all marriages involving Horsfalls with the names mentioned in Abraham's will, then to look at the baptisms to see how many children these marriages produced. There are patterns of names - Philip, for instance,  turns up quite regularly in the later family story.
Thanks again for your interest and expertise
Ian

Hi Ian Just noticed this! in your repy?

Qu 1) James, Abraham --- Susan, Betty and Sarah! Names in Abraham Senior's Will did it say they were is Sons & Daughters or Grand children or mix of both?
2) The Girls Susan-Betty -Sarah! Could they be the Wives of Abraham Jr, John, Richard  or James??
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Dochonneybunch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 September 13 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been looking for the Family of my Ancestor Abraham Horsfall; all I know so far is that he was Married to Sarah Joysey (Jowsey) on 9th Feb 1785 at Tynemouth. He and Sarah lived at Morpeth Northumberland and had the Following children:
Mary 1787
Charlotte 1789
Abraham 1791
Isaac 1793
Mordin 1797

Now "Mordin" is a really unusual name and I wonder if anyone else has come across it before?

Charlotte married William Towers of Neasham North Yorks, and the names "Abraham", "Isaac" and "Charlotte" were used again and again in the Families of their Descendants, but not in the Towers family Prior to Charlotte marrying William.

I suspect that Abraham Horsfall originally came from Yorkshire and must have been born around 1750-67. There are no Horsfall families in Morpeth before his arrival.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 September 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry that your Abraham Horsfall is not the same person as my ancestor - different wife's name and spent all his life in Todmorden. As far as I can make out in my researches, the surname Horsfall is most common in the Todmorden area (including Heptonstall and Halifax) and Huddersfield. Part of Todmorden bears the name Horsfall, and there is an old building called Horsfall House. You could try

Baptisms at the Chapels of Heptonstall and Cross Stone in the Parish of Halifax, Heptonstall 1594-1812, Cross Stone 1678-1837, ed. Douglas Wilson

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 September 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
there is some information about pickover gate in the halifax antiquarian society papers and the horsfall family at the local library. if you look for the antiquarian society online should give you contact details to persue your query further. there is a historian called david glover who has a column in the halifax evening courier who may be able to help you.

T. 

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, Undertaker. Are you able to be more specific about whereabouts in the HAS papers you came across the references to Pickover Gate? I've been in touch, at your suggestion, with David Glover, who has been kind enough to trawl through the index of nearly a century's worth of volumes. He finds no mention of Pickover Gate. Best wishes I~N

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 October 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there everyone :)
Could i just add a few thoughts about the scribbly writings in the area. Yes "Wad" is an abbreviation for Wadsworth but also there is an occupation sometimes abbreviated in the PR"s "Web" , this is an abbreviaton for a Webster , a type of Weaver*. This i am guessing could be easy to confuse with Wad as the two abbreviations for occupation and place of sometimes  appear next to each other . I know they sometimes do in the Heptonstall St Thomas PR's.
Also i see Huddersfield is mentioned , but there was also an unconnected  area called Hundersfield , around Blackstone Edge . Hundersfield took in parts of Todmorden, Walsden, Littleborough, Smallbridge and parts of Rochdale.

Edit .* Sorry , i missed that Dobby has already mentioned that a webster is a type of weaver