Author Topic: Marriage/Birth of Michael Faulkner and Bridget King - Oldest son born Mayo  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I am helping a friend trace her Irish roots, and so far members of rootschat have been incredibly supportive and got me to the position where I am seeking the marriage (where and when) of  Michael Faulkner and Bridget King but birth/bapt of either them or their childen would be fantastic.

Michael and Bridget had several Childen Patrick b c1856 Mary c1859 Catherine c1862 Delia c1867 all born in Ireland , Maria c1869 John c1871 born Chester, England.

Census info in England 1871 has Patrick (oldest son) originally from Mayo but that is about as enlightening as it gets.......  I am sorry I cannot be more specific, it is pretty likely that they were roman catholic as subsequent generations were so. I appreciate it may be needle in a haystack but would welcome any responses either positive or negative.

Many thanks.

Gordon
Rickards, Gardiner, Tibbles, Parker

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage/Birth of Michael Faulkner and Bridget King - Oldest son born Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
unfortunately the marriage and some of the births are before full Civil registration started in 1864.  The place I would start is with the birth of Delia c1867, as she should have been registered. There is an Irish index available at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

research certs can be ordered from the GRO by post using the Index details for the above site - see www.groireland.ie . The details they require are Name, record type (e.g. birth), registration district, year/quarter, volume and page number. The other numbers are LDS/familysearch references and are not required by the GRO.

For earlier Co. Mayo parish records you can try the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie  This is a pay site and they charge €5 for each transcript viewed.. I had a quick look for the birth of Patrick and the marriage but did not see any promising matches.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
I was looking for the parent's marriage whose union resulted in the birth of Patrick Faulkner. New evidence suggests that the father of Patrick is actually Thomas and not Michael, therefore in this instance I have the wrong family. I dont know what is out there but can anyone link a Patrick born Mayo according to the 1881 Census in England. to a Thomas.  Patrick's age in the 1881 Census was given as 24 therefore he was born about 1857.

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Is this the correct family on the England 1871 Census?

RG10 / 3731 / 65 / 25
George Street, South Gorse Stack's Court, St Oswald, Chester

Michael Faulkner / head / 40 / Labourer
Bridget / wife / 30
Patrick / son / 14 / Labourer
Mary / dau / 12 / Scholar
Catherine / dau / 9 / Scholar
Delia / dau / 4 / Scholar
Maria / dau / 2
Mary King / 66 / mother-in-law / widow / Nurse
all born Ireland except Maria

1881 England Census
RG11 / 3919 / 49 / 6
31 Leigh Street, Chorlton upon Medlock

Michael Faulkner / head / 46 / bricklayers labourer             b. Ireland
Bridget / wife / 44                                                                b. Ireland
Maria / dau / 12 / Scholar / b. Chester
John / son / 10  / Scholar / b. Chester

1881 Census - Patrick Faulkner
RG11 / 3801 / 51 / 31
2 wood Street, Golborne

Patrick Faulkner / head / 25 / Coalminer             b. Ireland
Mary / wife / 22 /                                                b. Ireland
Thomas / son / 2                   b. Wigan
Mary Ellen / dau / 1               b. golborne

Do you have the marriage certificate for Patrick to verify that his father is Michael?  Is the possible mix-up with Patrick and his son Thomas?

I have checked the various websites for the marriage of Michael and Bridget but there is nothing listed - see above comments.  What proof do you have that the family is from Mayo.  I know there are more quetions than answers, but hope this is of some help to you.

Dee

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
The new evidence is the marriage certificate although I have not seen it personally. The information has been passed to me by a relative who possesses a copy. I am currently awaiting the copy to obtain all the info such as ages and professions which may help. The census info you have given is exactly what I have and fits well. Previously I have linked the Patrick in 1881 which is the correct family with Michael because of the age of Patrick in Michael's family. However there is nothing else to link Patrick to Michael other than that. It could be that Patrick born Ireland according to 1881 census came directly from Ireland and was perhaps parented in Ireland by a Thomas.

Thanks so much Dee for taking the trouble, it is clearly one of those situations where we have to be careful to make sure we have the right lineage. I will update this thread as soon as I have anything more to pass on. It could be that Michael and Thomas are the same!!

Regards

Gordon

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Gordon, I have rechecked.  I think there are 3 Patrick Faulkner's born Ireland circa 1856/7

The couple I have quoted above Patrick and Mary & children Thomas & Mary Ellen are probably not your couple.  I can trace them thru to 1901 Census. He is from County Mayo and she is from Dublin. They were living in Bradford West Yorks 1891-1901

There are 3 Patrick Faulkner marriages:

Patrick Faulkner / Mary Reynolds
June 1875 / Stoke T
Vol No: 6b / Page No: 334
(I believe this is the couple I quoted in 1881 Census)

Patrick Faulkner
March 1878 / Chorlton
There are 3 males & 2 Females listed!!!

Patrick Faulkner / Elizabeth Ann Sweeney
June 1886 / Chorlton
Vol No: 8c / Page No: 1047
I think this could be your Patrick.

There is only one Patrick Faulkner listed on 1881 Census as being born in Ireland, and I think the guy you are looking for is either listed wrongly i.e. enumerator error or is out of the country.

I have checked brsgenealogy.com for children's births and parents marriages - nothing is listed.  I've also checked LDS Pilotfamily search site as listed by Shane.  I will re-check 1881 Census for mis-spellings for Faulkner.  Something is not right, but I will keep checking.  Sorry for the long winded saga.

Dee

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Falconer is another variation of Faulkner in Ulster so perhaps you could check for that spelling also.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Robin, don't know if this is of any help to you, but Patrick Faulkner, b. 1857, son of Michael & Bridget was born in Galway - as per UK 1911 Census.

Dee

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Dee but have now established from Marriage certificate that that Patrick was a collier on his marriage certificate this ties in with Patrick and Mary in 1881 where again his job description was that of a coal miner. Both Patrick and Mary were living on the outskirts of Stoke in an area called Hanley at the time of their civil wedding (St Mary and St Patricks church school) but at different addresses. Father of Patrick is Thomas, Labourer, father of Mary Reynolds. Michael, ship carpenter.