Author Topic: thistlethwaite  (Read 5912 times)

Offline 123hannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thistlethwaite
« on: Tuesday 11 August 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
 ???Anyone out there can help me link up a gap in my 'tree'

Newchurch in Pendle, is the furthest FIRM evidence I have of George Thistlethwaite m Tabitha in 1768. Parish records for there have been updated recently and his death is 1786.
We believe his parents were John and Susannah, no trace of the family before George 'migrated' from ??? Yorkshire, there are a lot there but none match.
In the updated parish records there is now a Susannah, WIDOW? of John, died 15th May 1777.
Assuming she is his mother, why can't I find a record of her marriage,I have looked for siblings for George trying to find my way back that way. no luck.
Anyone with any ideas :'(

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: thistlethwaite
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
By "the parish" do you mean Goldshaw Booth? On my map Newchurch is mostly in that parish but some of it is in Roughlee Booth, and Barley with Wheatley Booth and Old Laund Booth come near. Could the missing marriage be in one of those? Parishes seem to bear no relation to villages thereabouts - unless ecclesiastical parishes were entirely different. It's just the sort of luck I have, that one parish is available back in the C18th but a neighbour is not.

Yorkshire in those days came as near as Rimington and Brodgen parishes.

Is Thistlethwaite fairly common thereabouts? It's very much a regional name.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline 123hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
:)Hi , yes Goldshaw Booth covers the area, I have found a George baptized in Rylstone Church ( outside Skipton), by  John Thistlethwaite in 1742, John described as a merchant?
I have trawled thro' the  Family History website and traced a John, born 1742, back to 1580, then I discovered he was married to a Margaret and they were Quakers, and they married a year after my George was born.

The Yorkshire Dales are full of  Thistlethwaites, maybe this is where I am going wrong? assuming something that may have a simple answer?
George and descendants all stayed in the area. If his parents were John and Susannah, there must be a record of the marriage? She is buried with her son in Newchurch graveyard, so assumed that she moved to live with him after John died. Am I assuming too much ::) ::)I have done a complicated route with another side of the family and found out after 18 months searching, they all had lived close by in Colne, back as far as 1700.
Maybe I'm missing something that some one else can see?

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
I wish this post hadn't got moved out of the Common Room  so quickly, before the real experts could reply to it.

I expect you got these records from http://www.lan-opc.org.uk which does indeed list a lot of Newchurch records. It seems to be the ecclesiastical parish for the whole area, probably because Roughlee and Barley didn't have Anglican churches. (In other areas ecclesiastical and civil parishes coincide - here they seem not to.)

However nearby parishes like Fence (Old Laund Booth) are nowhere near as complete.

I said that Yorkshire came very close, but Rylstone isn't so near, and if the name is locally common I don't think a record from there proves much.

There have been a number of threads in the Common Room recently where someone has tried to make a connection in the pre-1837 period, and the experienced Rootschatters have cautioned about making assumptions, especially as so many records can't be easily found.

For myself, I've had to accept that I'll never have total proof, and my early tree is based on a lot of strong but not conclusive evidence.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline 123hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 13:25 BST (UK) »
:)Yes  lan history for Newchurch is the one which is newly updated, hence the discovery of Susannah, George also appears to have been a witness at a John's wedding, which came later than his, a brother? George's children have a John ( the direct line to me) and a Susannah, again the assumption is that they were named after grandparents. You may be right though, I have been following a trail into Yorkshire when it may be closer in the area where they moved from. Still can't work out how to find John and Susannah's marriage or John's burial, with no clues to work from.Would the record office at preston have details from Susannah's burial, I only looked at Newchurch prior to George's arrival, when I was there.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I can`t help with John, but I did find these two burial entries at Wheatley Lane Inghamite Church:

Thos son of Geo. Thistlewhite July 3rd 1784
Tabithy wife of Geo. Thistlewhite Aug 3rd 1784.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline 123hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
;)Thanks Mo, I have only just realized that she was not on the list at Newchurch, they were listed as living in the area of this church when George died ( he had gone from a woolworker when he married to a shopkeeper at Fence when the first boys were born and died a pauper""
He appears to have only been in his 40's when he' kicked the bucket' There is probably an interesting story behind this.
I was going to say a strange coincidence, but nothing is in this type of hunt,the maternal side of my family are in this churchyard and the paternal ( George's lot, are over at Haggate in Burley. JohnSnr. can't be here as well? No it doesn't make sense I suppose. ???
But nevertheless, a small step forward, thank you.
P.S. She died a few weeks after her youngest??? and George a couple of years later, and families today think they have problems ???My ancestor was only 14 when she died and he was the eldest!!

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just another thought, It may be worth e-mailing or visiting Colne Library and asking them if the Thistlethwaite file in the Doreen Crowther collection contains any information on 18c Thistlethwaites.  They may just have a look for you.  

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline 123hannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
 ;)Thanks again, have been to check the file you suggested, I may have found my ancestor George's brother's progress but still no sign of the original man  who I guess was born 1700 +-
somewhere?