Author Topic: Chancery/Shoreham Burials 'Look up' Best  (Read 660 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Chancery/Shoreham Burials 'Look up' Best
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

In some family papers I have there are two adverts concerning chancery.  One reads, 'Heirs-at-law and next of kin wanted Best (of Shoreham)...Apply to Alfred Side...' and dated Sep 9 1883. 
The other reads, 'Next of kin 12,000 - Wanted the families:- Best, Delatouche or Latouche, Feillett or Feuillet, Foldson, Franklin, Hemett, Polehampton, all relations together descendants of Edward Polehampton and Rene Feillett living in London 1780 - 1800 - Apply by letter W. Matfield Esq. Kelly's Gray's Inn London 23rd May 1876.'
My 4 x great uncle, Jabez Best, responded and got a reply from Alfred Side, (who, I believe, placed the 1883 ad from research he'd done into the 1876 one).  Along with asking for money as he couldn't 'supply information...for the mere love of the thing...' (!) Alfred wrote 'an old gentleman is alive over 84 years of age, a relative on the female side who has supplied information and I have been down to Shoreham to search at the Registry and view the tombstones of the family but you are the first person's who have shown your relationship besides the person mentioned who is not near enough to take...'
I have put the following together via research on the internet;

Edward Polehampton b. 1652 Hurst, Berkshire d. 1722 occ. coach painter, captain of trained bands, philanthropist (founded a school) uncle of
Elizabeth Polehampton
m. 1705 (licence dated 31/8/1705)
Rene Feillet d. 1736 occ. History painter of St James, Clerkenwell
Their children;
1. Polehampton Feillet b. abt 1706
m. First 11/11/1725 St Mary, St Marylebone, London
Francis Hemet (of dentist family that treated royalty and their daughter Jane became the actress known as Mrs Lessingham)
m. Second 10/7/1739 St Benets, Pauls Wharf, London
John Francklin
2. Edward Askew Feillet d. 1749 Surrey (will proved 25/10/1749)
3. Elizabeth Feillet c. 16/3/1708 St Martins in the Fields, Westminster
? Best
4. Robert Feillet c. 15/10/1710 St Martins in the Fields, Westminster
m. 8/12/1730 Fleet Prison, London
Sina Bowell
5. Frances Feillet
m.
John? Foldson/e
6. Mary Feillet
m.
? De Latouche
7. Rene Polehampton Feillet b. 18/6/1719 c. 5/7/1719 St Martins in the Fields, Westminster

The money I don't care about, but I really want to know if there is a connection to my Best family!  My Bests' can be traced back (with any certainty) to;

Charles Best b. 9/6/1757 place unknown d. 31/7/1818 St John (Without), Sussex buried 4/8/1818 St Peters Hamsey, Sussex occ. shepherd at Upper Beeding, Sussex.
m. 7/1/1779 St Nicholas Brighton, Sussex
Elizabeth Lilywhite
They had 9 children born 1780 to 1800 and all christened at Upper Beeding.

Was Jabez wishing on a star or was he 'on the money'?  (Alfred Side did a bunk.)  I'd love to know. 

Any look ups and/or advice would be gratefully received.

Marlene

Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)