Author Topic: Stanion baptism/ Tebbutt early C18th  (Read 2284 times)

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stanion baptism/ Tebbutt early C18th
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the baptism of an Alice Tebbutt/ Tibbet in Stanion around 1715, (also any syblings she may have had)  and if possible, that she was not in the PR as being buried before 1735, when  my Alice married John Cunnington in Kings Cliffe.

Thanks
John

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stanion baptism/ Tebbutt early C18th
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
this is the nearest that i can see
alice tebbotts daughter of john and mary christened on the 16/11/1715 at stanion church of england
this is the only christening in stanion with surname tebbotts
there is a christening in stanion in 1710 of a john tebbot son of john and mary
also another christening in stanion in 1713 of a mary tebbot daughter of john and mary
possibly a name variant with alice
all events taken from
www.northants-familytree.net
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 09 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Wozzle,
since I posted this query in August, I sent off for the Stanion PR, where there does'nt seem to be any earlier Tebbuts than this John & Mary couple, then nothing till 1740 when a cooper, Robert Tebbot marries and has children in Stanion.

What the PR did show though was that John Tebbut was a 'keeper' , unfortunately the only Northants. Will for a John Tebbut, keeper was from 1749 in Fawsley who doesn't seem to be the same J.T. in Stanion.

What I'm hoping to find is John or Mary Tebbuts burial in Kings Cliffe where I have Alice Tebbut marrying a John Cunnington, and seemingly spending the rest of her life.

Best
John

Offline Thompson83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
I believe that I am descended from this Tebbutt family. I have recently obtained a copy of the will of a John Tebbutt of Nassington Lodge who mentions his sister, Alice Cunnington of Kings Cliffe and another brother, Robert.

If you are interested please contact me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Thompson83 for your posting about John Tebbutt's Will that mentions his sister Alice in Kings Cliffe, I'd be very interested if you could send me a PM.

This Alice Tebbutt married John Cunnington in Kings Cliffe and then for at least 4 generations Tebbutt comes up as a middle name, as in Thomas Tebbutt Cunnington, I've got 3 of those as it were end to end, the last being my great grandfather. So was it just Alice or was it the Tebbutt conections that effected the Cunnington family, before they were carpenters, afterwards they became quite well to do mill owners , excisemen & racehorse trainers. It's a question I've been trying for years to figure out.

Thanks
John

Offline Spinning Jenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I also descend from Alice Tebbutt [Tebbut] who married John Cunnington in Kings Cliffe on 25 Feb 1735-36. Stanion & KC are about 11 miles away. I notice that there are a few Alice Tebbutts baptized in Northants. Can you tell me why do you think it is the Stanion one? It's a long time since anyone contributed to this thread, so if anyone is still looking, please reply. Thanks!

Offline mortieau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Spinning Jenny,
Nothing is 100 %, but the 1715 Stanion Alice Tebbutt seems the most likely .
1709 St. Peter Oundle, Northants Married:- John Tebbutt of Stanion = Mary Ball of Geddington
Baptisms in Stanion children of John Tebbutt a keeper (gamekeeper) & Mary :-
1710 John, 1711 Robert, 1713 Mary and 1715 Alice
Ref Lincolnshire Archives (057), 2-Nassington Wills/ 119:-
Will proven 17/5/1773 John Tebbutt of Nassington, lodge keeper ( groundkeeper) brother Robert named as executor but more importantly 'Sister Alice Cunnington wife of John Cunnington of Kings Cliffe' is bequeathed some bed linen.
I haven't been able to get any further back than this ( no record in Stanion of any Tebbutts)
Mortieau

Offline Spinning Jenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mortieau
With all those names you found in Stanion: John, Robert, Alice & how they are all mentioned in the John Tebbutt of Nassington including Alice as wed to John Cunnington, I think you certainly have found it. I’ve sent for an ancestrydna kit, so after it is processed & I somehow find cousins, perhaps this mystery will resolve. Now to check Geddington and it seems the older John Tebbutt was employed in Stanion, but not from there originally. Stanion is 10 miles from Kings Cliffe & 9 miles to Oundle; Oundle & 12 miles to Geddington.
Kind regards,
Spinning Jenny