Author Topic: MIldon House,Stroud.  (Read 4674 times)

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
MIldon House,Stroud.
« on: Wednesday 02 March 05 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Would there be any Rootschatters in Stroud?
  My GGGgrandparents lived at Mildon house in the mid-late 1800s,Is the building still standing?would anyone know any history of the building?were very curious!......cheers chrissy.
   James Chew- Sarah France?
Daughter-   Carlotta  m Bird - were  our ancestors.One of her  daughters was -Phylis mary bird was my husbands grandmother in Australia.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MIldon House,Stroud.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 05 05:28 GMT (UK) »
CORRECTION=MELDON HOUSE -RUSSELL STREET,STROUD.
                   sorry........chrissy.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 05 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissy!

Yes there are Rootschatters in Stroud - at least one anyway.... :)

Although I live quite close to Russell Street (which is right in the centre of Stroud), I'm ashamed to say I don't know about Meldon House.   :-[

I have to go out a bit later, so I shall have a look and let you know. Stroud was very badly trashed in the 1960s as a result of some appalling planning decisions and a lot of our old buildings went at that point, including some in Russell Street.

I notice from the 1891 census entry for James and Sarah that James was a Professor of Music. The only other Stroud query I've answered in the past week has also been for a Professor of Music. I wonder what was going on in Stroud at that point!

I'll see what I can find

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 05 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela!
 James Chew was also a conductor of the stroud choral society in the mid  1800s,and also had a music warehouse,and played the organ for a local church......this is all we can find out about him for the moment!.......cheers chrissy.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissy

It started snowing, then hailing, as I was about to have a look at Russell Street  :(

I didn't find anything labelled as mildon house, but I did find no 11, which is the house on the 1891 census. It is currently the local Peacocks' shop and is pretty hideous at ground floor level. The early building can be seen above that and if the weather is halfway reasonable tomorrow, I'll photograph it.

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 05 00:46 GMT (UK) »
HI Angela. Thanks a lot for braving the cold weather to check this out for us.On the 1881 census we found the address to be -13 russell st, stroud.I hope this helps.Its really kind of you to take a photograph for us ,once again Thank You ;D ;D ;D
    ......chrissy.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 March 05 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissy

I've had a very interesting time photographing Russell Street  :)

I had a good look at the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, including the enumerator's description of his route.  I couldnt work out which house it was in 1871, but it looked to me like it was no 13 in 1881, no 11 in 1891 and no 5 in 1901 (after James's death?). I shall send you a PM about the other photos I've taken, but will try and attach one here. Peacock's is no 11 and Milanos (2 below) is no 13. Interestingly, the shop above Peacocks sells some old photos of Stroud, so I shall try and call in during the week to see if they have anything appropriate!

Angela

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissy, :)

have you got the info for James on the 1861 census?

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darcy, :)
 We dont have James as yet on the 1861 Census,so any help would be appreciated!
  Could you please help us on A differant Matter.
   William Douglas Bird(marine engineer) Who Married Carlotta Mary Chew(james daughter),we havent been able to find info on him at all yet,they had 4 daughters -One being Hubby's Nana-Phyllis Mary Bird,(b1905-stroud )Mollie ?Guida? Iona?,we think all the girls were born in stroud.
   I hope this all makes sense,cos I started my new job today,and my feet hurt and so does my brain :-\.  cheers..........chrissy.