Author Topic: EFFIN, LIMERICK AREA  (Read 15765 times)

Offline Elaine D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EFFIN, LIMERICK AREA
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 01:24 BST (UK) »
Have any of you researched in the Effin area. I am interested in the Effin RC Church records. Are the priests willing to do research for a donation to the church? Would there be any other records besides Griffith's? Thank you in advance for any help, Elaine D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: EFFIN, LIMERICK AREA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
there are RC records (baptism & marriage) for the Effin & Garrenderk available online for the years 1843-1899 on the Irish Family History Foundation website at - www.irish-roots.ie   The records are transcripts and cost €5 each to view.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gmac115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was in Effin last June (2009) and stopped at the Church in Effin.  There was only one priest assigned to the church and he lives about a mile from the church.  He was quite friendly and did give me access to their records.  Of course, I did make a cash contribution to him.  The records are of two types (1) the Originals which are in Latin, and a typed transcription of those same records in English.  They are kept in a separate notebook in the sacristy.  The original appears to be in chronological order. The typed transcription appears to be in alphabetical order and each name is then in chronological order.  So if you have the surname, it should be quite easy to check the records.

There is also the Effin Graveyard which is about a quarter mile up the road.  There is a sign on the gate to contact a woman who oversees the property.  I don't know if she has records, but I seem to recall the notice that the LImerick County Council did have records of who was buried in the graveyard.

Good luck.

P.S. I was fortunate to be able to locate my great-grandmother, her siblings and their parents -- The Hickeys!

Greg Macaulay

Offline Elaine D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 January 10 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg, I have received some birth records for my family - the Carroll's and the Hartigans. Farther Coughlan sent them to me in October. I have sent another request along with another donation for marriage records. That was in November and I haven't heard back as yet. I imagine that Father is pretty busy being he is the only one at the church. How big is the cemetery in Efin? Have you gotten in touch with the LIMERICK County Council for information on your family?
Thank you for the information, Elaine D.

Offline gmac115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 January 10 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi --

The cemetery is not that big.  However it has an awful lot of headstones that cannot be read.  The weather has really worn them down!

Also, while I haven't contacted the Limerick County Council or the Lady that was listed, I would imagine that they only have the names of some, but not all of the residents. <smile>

Fr. Coughlan was very helpful.  I don't know how busy he is -- as there's only 1000 folks who live in the parish.  He was home each time I visited, and it seemed he was occupies each time.  But yet he did come down to the church for me.  BTW, he seems like he's in his late 60s or 70s, but he did appear fully agile.

There are a couple of photos online showing the church (both outside and inside, as well as the graveyard.  Try www.limerickdiocese.org/parishes/effin.htm  Good luck and keep in touch. Who knows we may be related.

Greg Macaulay

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ceolgra

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am from Effin and currently researching Effin Local History, so would love to hear your connections with Effin

Offline Elaine D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother, Maria Carroll was baptised 18 Jan. 1847 in the Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace, Effin. Her parents were John Carroll and Johanna Hartigan. The sponsors were Thomas Hartigan and Joanna Quinlan. I am interested in all these families. Elaine D.

Offline marken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi  I was in Effin in July 2010 & was given access to the parish records by Father Coughlan. I was able to get details of all my aunts & uncles Births, deaths  etc. I couldn't find headstones for them tho in Effin cemetery. I didn't realise there was another cemetery.  My Dad was Denis Cremin son of Denis & Bridget (Nee Walsh) They lived at Garienderk  Bridget's parents were Michael & Nano Walsh from Effin. I know My gfather was the son of John Cremin but cannot find any information on his mother. Can anyone help?
Effin/ Doneraille areas

Cremin/Walsh/Sheehy/hannigan

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 11 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I thought anyone interested in Effin might like to read this news article.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8384270/villages-name-too-rude-for-facebook
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk