Author Topic: Vote for Genealogy  (Read 2930 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for Genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Paul,

No, I'll leave "social engineering" for the newspapers. Let's bring manufacturing and innovation back...

Rob,

I helped with the baling when I was a child, I didn't get hurt much :)

Trystan  ;)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a secret to tell but you have to promise not to tell anyone else... It is in your best interest.

Since the age of 6 I have quietly gone about my life knowing I will be running the country one day.  By any means necerssary.

I make no threat, just the promise.

You see, I always know best.  Always have.  Even when I'm wrong it's in your best interests.

Anyway besides that, the poor offerings in the current political landscape need a bit of kicking into touch.  None deserve my vote.

I think the from a purely genealogical viewpoint I have the opposite view to most of you.  I want to be charged a fair price for accessing records.  I think I should pay if I am provided a service.  The money I pay to access records I want ploughed into indexing, online databases, support services. I'm looking forward to the new Scotland Family History Centre when it opens.

Non-genealogical...
National Service - I'd have that back straight away.  Not the old kind. One where we have to work for the nation. 3 years of cleaning the streets, landscaping parks, running community centres etc.  You can do it anytime between the ages of 16 and 35 and you can do it a year at a time.  

I have worked all this out to the nth degree by the way...

Pam surveys her lands...
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking forward to the new Scotland Family History Centre when it opens.

Obviously a person who takes the very long view  ;D

Non-genealogical...
National Service - I'd have that back straight away.  Not the old kind. One where we have to work for the nation. 3 years of cleaning the streets, landscaping parks, running community centres etc.  You can do it anytime between the ages of 16 and 35 and you can do it a year at a time.

You'd never get it through the House of Lards .... after all we must be careful fo everybody's rights  :-X 

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Non-genealogical...
National Service - I'd have that back straight away.  Not the old kind. One where we have to work for the nation. 3 years of cleaning the streets, landscaping parks, running community centres etc.  You can do it anytime between the ages of 16 and 35 and you can do it a year at a time.

You'd never get it through the House of Lards .... after all we must be careful fo everybody's rights  :-X 

That's ok everyone has the right to give up 3 years to absolute benefit of the whole community.  Anyone who disagrees - up against the wall.

Oops I better be careful...

P ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 March 05 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Whoohoo - this topic could become a right "hot potato" if we're not too careful (there's me with my "Admin Hat" on and sunglasses).  8)

"bring back national service - it would have taught me a good lesson"
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 March 05 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Here's a few vote winners

Future birth certificates to contain names of all 4 grandparents as well as parents.

Census to be held every 5 years. No one allowed to be away from home on census night. House arrest for anyone who fails to complete census form. All British passport holders living overseas to be required to complete a census form

Census information from 1911 and 1921 to be put online immediately

Proper hereditary peers to be brought back to House of Lords - I just loved all those dotty disputes over succession

Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 March 05 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Anyway besides that, the poor offerings in the current political landscape need a bit of kicking into touch.  None deserve my vote.

I agree with you there, I still go to vote, but I usually put a line through the voting slip. Our ancestors fought hard enough for the right to vote, so we should make the most of it. How we vote is a different matter.

I think that all people who don't vote at, say, 3 elections, whether local, national or whatever, should have that right taken off them, only to be reinstated after a lengthy and costly application process. That way, compulsory voting can be disregarded.

Non-genealogical... National Service - I'd have that back straight away.  Not the old kind. One where we have to work for the nation. 3 years of cleaning the streets, landscaping parks, running community centres etc.  You can do it anytime between the ages of 16 and 35 and you can do it a year at a time. 

hmmm, I think that would be good for general discipline and responsibility, and excellent for the communities. They'd have to get rid of the bit about swearing allegiance to the queen though. As a gullible young lad of 17, when all my mates wanted to join the RAF, I went along, passed all the exams. Came to sign on the dotted line, they signed their lives away - I just couldn't bring myself to sign that allegiance to someone who didn't have my nations interests at heart. Probably cause a bit of a thread now, but that is my opinion and its served me well so far.  ;D

Mind the House of Lords is better than any TV series. And its free to watch.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 March 05 13:47 GMT (UK) »
My national Service plan is in context of a devolution from central government so no swearing allegiance required.  We have lost pride in our commuinties as they are designed and run by external forces from a distance.

If I have to speak to one more child pulling branches off trees....

County Councils are a hotbed of corruption.  So My system is a self regulating hierarchy of community councils similar to the parish systems we used to have.  But we all would have to serve time on the bench.  Change of leadership every year.  No party systems no voting.  Each community council sends a representative to the area council who in turn sends a representative to the higher council.  I would make this system soooo complicated that corruption would be impossible as nobody would understand it.   I reckon I'll send a dictate out saying the new representative should be born the 2nd week of March.  Thus randomly choosing them.

I told you I'd thought about this.

Less pie sky theories for the now.  I completely agree about voting.  I don't agree with creating a new application process though - waste of money.  A simple £10 fine for non voting will do.  Most people are just lazy - £10 would make them voting.  Or better still - minimise the cost of collecting the fine.  Let companies sponsor the vote and give away free stuff if you vote.

Mwahahaha one day my pretty, one day...

Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline pugwash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 March 05 01:20 GMT (UK) »
I'd vote to get rid of unaffordable charges on sites, so everyone could find about their family history. Perhaps we could get a petition up??