Author Topic: Evan Isaac Davies, Pantsherrif, Tregaron  (Read 8380 times)

Offline jekisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan Isaac Davies, Pantsherrif, Tregaron
« on: Monday 17 August 09 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my maternal grandfathers family and have got thus far -
John Thomas Davies married Mary Williams and they lived in Pantsherrif farm in Tregaron. Before them John Thomas' father Evan Isaac Davies was the owner of the farm and lived there with his wife Catherine. I have them on the 1881 census where they have no children as of yet but I am unable to find their wedding certificate or any record of their births. On the census it says that both were born with Tregaron but Evan Isaac has vanished and I am unsure of Catherine's maiden name as I can only find her through Evan Isaac Davies.

From the Census i can gather that Evan Isaac was born around 1842/44 and Catherine was born around 1858. I will be able to get more precise dates when i hopefully get up to tregaron on the weekend and visit their graves.

Im not sure what anyone can do to help but if anyone does have any advice or information please could you let me know.

Thankyou very much,
Jess   :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Isaac Davies, Pantsherrif, Tregaron
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi..dont know if you have them in 1891

1891 census for Pantsheriff,Croes & Berwyn,Tregaron

RG12  PIECE 4564 FOLIO 41 PAGE 6

Evan Isaac Davies head married 47 b 1844 farmer b tregaron
Catherine Davies wife 32 b 1859 b tregaron
Evan David Davies son 9 b 1882 b tregaron
Catherine Davies daughter 6 b 1885 b tregaron
John Thomas Davies son 2 b 1889 b tregaron
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 04:18 BST (UK) »
interesting one for 1901
1901 census for   Pantsheriff,Caron is Clawdd,Tregaron
RG13 PIECE 5159 FOLIO 41 PAGE 4
Evan J Davies married 56 b 1845  farmer b Caron,Cardiganshire
Catherine Davies married 44 b 1857 b as above
Evan D Davies son 19 b 1882 b as above
Margaret Davies daughter  17 b 1884 b as above
John T Davies son 12 b 1889 as above

maybe the J is mistranscribed and should be I ?

Where was Margaret in 1891 ?

Has Catherine the younger died ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline jekisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou so much for the quick reply. So exciting! I had the 1881 census but not the 1901 as have only used ancestry.co.uk and they had no record of them. I think it is quite likely that younger Catherine died, i seem to recolect her being at her parents grave and noticing it when i visited it last so I will check again this weekend. Margaret would make sense also as John Thomas called his first daughter Margaret but as you say it is very strange that she wasn't on the 1891 census. I shall have to try and delve into that. Its so brilliant to hear they are all still at the farm though, must have been a straight transfer to John Thomas when his father died or something like that. I would love to be able to trace back to Evan Isaac's parents although that is proving very difficult. I think i am clutching at straws slightly, i found that a Catherine born in the same year as my Catherine in Tregaron has many siblings of the same name as my Catherine's kids...if that makes any sense. So if there is anything in that she may have been Catherine Rowlands. Im hoping that when i make the trip to tregaron on the weekend there may be some records in the Church of christenings and maybe the marriage. I'm not sure how to do those things though, hopefully they wont mine me just going in and asking to see records!

Thankyou so much again. Its brilliant to have a few more names to put on the tree!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
heres another interesting one for 1841

1841 census for-  pantsirif {thier spelling} tref garon,croes & berwyn,tregadon

Evan Davies 45 b 1796 farmer b cardiganshire

Rachel Evans 20 b 1821 b cardiganshire

Morgan Morgans 15 b 1826 b cardiganshire.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
hello again,,i think im getting there,,cant access 1851 census,,,but

1861 census for pautsheriff{probably mistranscribed again} croes & berwyn

Evan Davies married 60 b 1801 farmer of 89 acres employing 4 servants b caron is clawd,cardiganshire
Mary Davies married 32 b 1829 b caron is clawd
Mary Ann Davies daughter 18 b 1843 b llandewi brefi
Jane Davies daughter 11 b 1850 b caron is clawd
Evan Davies son 15  1846 b caron is clawd
John Richards servant 16 b 1845 b caron is clawd

RG09 PIECE 4203 FOLIO 30 PAGE 3

1871 CENSUS for Pantsheriff ,Croes & Berwyn
Evan Davies married 72 b 1799 farmer b cardiganshire
Mary Davies married 56 b 1815 b as above
Margaret Davies daughter 23 B 1848 b as above
John Jones servant 21 b 1850 b ?
William Jones servant 25 b 1846 b as above
Mary Hughes servant 15 b 1856 b as above

RG10 PIECE 5570 FOLIO 27 PAGE 3

So..i.t looks like evan isaacs dad was also an evan davies,,,seems evan jnr moved away for a while,,then was back for the 1881 to take over the farm...hope ive been of some help...enjoy your visit,,let me know how you got on,,,regards,,,Mike.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
hi,,just noticed the age of Mary on the censuses,,,there is a bit of a discrepancy between the 1861 and the 1871.  i wouldnt worry too much about it,,,i have seen many such differences appear on census returns...i believe that the ages should have been rounded down in 1841,,,so maybe the age in 1871 is more correct...

wierdly,,,again Margaret,although a different Margaret ,,doesnt appear on the 1861 census ??  what is it with the Margarets in this family ;D

i also noticed whilst looking at the original census returns that the family in the next farm were also a Davies family,,,the 1841 and 1861    i know its a common surname,,but there may be a link ? 

Offline jekisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
WOW thankyou so so much for all the research you have done it is truly amazing. Another Evan...typical! Doesn't make life much easier. I'm extremely happy that life at the farm goes back another generation though that is just brilliant. Strange about the margarets, maybe they were sent to work or maybe some educational thing. I shall definitely be looking into that. The whole of my family has got excited about this new generation of Davies' so we'll be going up to Tregaron as soon as possible, maybe even before the weekend. I will post anything i find on here. I'm hoping that maybe Evan sr might have inherited the farm...you never know! Again, thankyou thankyou thankyou! It probably would have taken me years to discover any of this!   ;D

Offline jekisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, i just thought i would update you as I have managed to find the 1851 census on ancestry.co.uk for pantsheriff and its interesting. It is

Evan Davis head widowed 50 b abt 1801 farmer of 120 acres b tregaron
Marrianne Davis daughter 8 b abt 1843 b tregaron
Evan Davis son 6 b abt 1845 b tregaron
Jane Davis daughter 16 months b tregaron
Elizth Benjamin servant 28 b abt 1823 b Lledrod
Evan Davies servant 22 b abt 1829 b Blaenpenal
Elinor Lewis servant 17 b abt 1834 b Llanbadarn

So Evan Davis/ies got married some time between 1841 and 1843 and also was widowed between 1849 and 1851. I feel that this might explain the Margaret mystery...im not sure if it is possible but maybe she was the daughter of Mary and became part of the family when they married? I can't see why she wouldn't be listed on this census otherwise...although that still wouldn't really explain her absence in the 1861 census.

It must have been a tad confusing with the three Evan's in the house!