Author Topic: Baptism and or Marriage Soke of Peterborough  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Hunny Bunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism and or Marriage Soke of Peterborough
« on: Monday 17 August 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please?
I am looking for a baptism for a Francis Hobson who was born about 1827 in Peterborough.  His Father was Francis Hobson and mother Unknown.
I have tried the Northamptonshire board and there was no record  of a baptisms for this person.

I am also looking for a possible marriage between the above Francis Hobson and Unknown between 1824 and 1829 in the same area.
Mother Unknown died bet 1827 and 1829 and Francis remarried to a Harriet Askew in Peterborough in 1829 ( I already have that marriage)

I realize that Peterborough is in Northamptonshire but it has been suggested that I try the Soke of Peterborough in Cambridgeshire.

Thank you in advance

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism and or Marriage Soke of Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Try http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html for baptisms 1801-37 in Cambs (remember that this is the ancient county of Cambs not the post 1974 county which includes Hunts). I can't see a Francis Hobson, but didn't try all spelling variations.

There's no baptism on the BVRI

There's no Francis Hobson marriage on Hunts marriage index - Hunts is also adjacent to Peterborough.

But I can't see that anyone on the Northants board has checked for baptisms, if indeed there are transcriptions available for baptisms in Peterborough. As he consistently names Peterborough as his birthplace then that's the place to start. You need to check the microfilm of the parish register at your nearest LDS Family History Centre - full list at www.familysearch.org

You might also need to check for burials of a female Hobson in Peterborough 1826-9 to see if that gives any clues as to his first wife's name

If Francis senior was born in Lincs it's possible that his first marriage could have been in that county

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Hunny Bunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism and or Marriage Soke of Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Thanks for trying and for your time.
I did receive 1 reply from my request on the Northamptonshire board from a kind lady who checked for Hobson baptism and marriage records  between 1824 and 1827 and she couldn't find any, except for the one for Frances Snr second marriage to Harriet Askew in 1829.

I have also searched the  online baptisms on the CFHS as well as the LDS IGI's for a baptism, marriage and  a burial of any female Hobson in Lincolnshire, Huntingshire, and Cambridgeshire during that time frame.

It seems to me that Peterborough in Northants or whether it be the Soke of Peterborough in nearby Counties are the hardest records to find.

Thanks again for your time and effort David
Regards
Joyce