Author Topic: 1891 census - MOODY  (Read 1931 times)

Offline edavies79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1891 census - MOODY
« on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful for any help in tracing any of the following people on the 1891 census. I have been trying for several years now, with no luck.

I am looking for Mary Moody (nee Lumber), born in Evercreech, Somerset in 1856 (though I have seen this as 1860 on some documents). In 1881 she was living on Brownsea Island, Poole, Dorset with her husband James Moody, born East Pennard 1856 and her children:

Henry George Moody born Poole Dorset, 1876
Frank Moody born Poole Dorset, 1878
Elizabeth Moody born Studland, Dorset 1880
Emily Moody born Poole, Dorset 1885

Her husband James died in 1889, in Kinson, Dorset.

I have no record of her in the 1891 census. By 1901 she had moved to Pontypridd (Coedpenmaen Road) with all of her children, and had remarried a Henry Barber and had three more children with him. They married in 1894 in Pontypridd.

I have found Mary's two sons in 1891 living in Coedpenmaen Road, Pontypridd, Glamorgan, with their aunty and uncle.

A further complication is that Mary Moody had another daughter in 1891 called Ada Moody (though obviously impossible that James Moody was the father as he had been dead at least two years by then). In 1901 Ada Moody is with the rest of the family in Pontypridd and gives her birthplace as Frome. In 1911 Ada's birthplace is given as Evercreech.

I hope all of this makes sense - it sounds very confusing. I have desperately tried searching Poole, Evercreech, Frome, Pontypridd in 1891 with no luck whatsoever. I know that Ada might not have been born at the time the census was taken? Mary might have been in a hospital? She might have been in some sort of institution and had to send her children away to relatives around the country after she was widowed?

If anyone could offer any assistance, or suggestions of where I could look, I'd be so grateful,

Many thanks,

Emma Smith  :)

Offline PontyJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 CENSUS - MOODY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hey Emma,

I’m related to this Moody Family in Pontypridd. My grans mother was the daughter to Emily Moody.

Would love to now how you fit in, in the Moody Family. And if I can help you I will.

Shauni Jones,
Pontypridd.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 September 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ponty Jones and welcome to Rootschat EDavies79 has not been active on here since October 2010
If her E-Mail address is the same she will receive a notification you have posted and hopefully reply

Rosie  :)

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 September 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
in case it helps, Ada is on 1901 census as Ada F Moody. Possible birth reg in distict covering Evercreech
Ada Florence Jeffery march qtr 1891 Shepton Mallet vol 5c pg 486 mmn Lumber
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline PontyJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, let’s hope she see the notification. I’ve tried to co tact her on Ancestry to and no reply.

Thanks for that also, I’ve always wondered if she was registered as her mothers husband James Moody died way before she was born, so he can’t be the father. There’s No Ada under Moody or her mam’s name Lumber. So this may be it or she may have not been registered.

Shauni Jones
Pontypridd.

Offline Smith.emmasmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 September 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi! I’ve had to reregister with a different username but I am the original poster asking for any info about the Moody family of Pontypridd!  Elizabeth Ann Moody is my great grandmother.
Many thanks
Emma Smith

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

I can merge your two profiles if you like. If you loose contact with your old profile or just need help there is a button that says "contact support" if you press this button you will receive help
 without being logged in.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PontyJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 September 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there Emma,

My 2nd great grandmother is Emily Moody daughter to James Moody and Mary Lumber. Emily would have been Your Elizabeth Ann Moody younger sister.

My Grans mother was Beatrice E Burgess daughter to Emily Moody and Frederick James Burgess.

I’m still in Pontypridd, so are most of my family. I do have a tree on ancestry on the Moody’s.

Shauni Jones,
Pontypridd.

Offline Smith.emmasmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 September 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
Can I email you shauni?