Author Topic: William Smyth (1720-24 Feb. 1812) "Belfast or Limerick"  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Smythe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Smyth (1720-24 Feb. 1812) "Belfast or Limerick"
« on: Wednesday 19 August 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
EDWARD AND MARY SMYTHE GENEALOGICAL ARCHIVE

http://mysite.verizon.net/resxc80a/

My known Surname lineage is descended from Andrew Smyth (1720 - 24 FEB. 1812). Andrew's Father, William, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and removed to Roscommon, Ireland. William was said to be a man of some little property in Ireland near Belfast or Limerick, and is referred to as a BARONET. Unfortunately, there is no Smyth, Smith, Smythe to match these particulars in "A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland" authored by John Burke and John Bernard Burke and first published in 1841. Neither is there any mention in Burke's Peerages, Baronetage and Knightage published in 1963.

William's wife was Sarah Farrell, and his three sons were William, Joseph, and Andrew. William's oldest son, William, is thought to have inherited his father's title and estate. William's son Joseph went first to Scotland, and afterwards to Virginia in America (date unknown). When reference is made to early Virginia, however, one must consider the magnitude of its genesis. A person having been born in Virginia as early as 1728, or as late as 1850, could indicate he/she was born in any part of: Illinois (1781-1818); Kentucky (1775-1792); North Carolina (1728-1779); Tennessee (1760-1803); Indiana (1787-1816); Maryland (1775-1792); Ohio (1778-1803); West Virginia (1769-1853).

This is all that I know about Joseph Smyth. As I am sure you are aware, the spelling of last names was somewhat interpretive as recent as 100 years ago. For instance, Andrew’s grandchildren’s names were “Smyth”-“Smythe”& “Smith.”

Does anyone have anything about him?

Thank You,

Jeff Smythe
SMYTH, SMYTHE, SMITH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smyth (1720-24 Feb. 1812) "Belfast or Limerick"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
You already posted the same message on the Beginners board which I've now locked (duplicate posts cause needless confusion) and I've moved this one on Limerick board to Ireland-General since you don't know where in Ireland your Smyths actually did come from- Belfast is in Co, Antrim which is on the east coast of Ireland and Limerick is on the west coast so the two places are nowhere near each other.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Smythe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
I inadvertantly put Andrew's (William's Son's dates!) - William would have been born in the late 1600's.

Jeff Smythe
SMYTH, SMYTHE, SMITH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
If you've made a mistake in your initial post click the modify button there and fix the mistake and then save the post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!