Author Topic: 5th dragoon guards 1900-1902  (Read 1777 times)

Offline caggym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
5th dragoon guards 1900-1902
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
I am new to all this. Have managed to trace generations on the normal site but struggling on the military side.

My husbands great grandfather was called walter henry dixon. he fought in the 5th dragoon guards at ladysmith, south african campaign, and was a corporal. He was also in the boer war. His number was 4592. I have tried to locate him to see where he's fought, what medals he got and a bit of history but just can't find anything. Has anyone got any advice to help me locate him please

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 5th dragoon guards 1900-1902
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 09 20:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the forum.

He is listed in the Boer War medal roll as Lance Corporal 4592 HW Dixon of the 5th Dragoon Guards. He was awarded a medal with the clasps for Orange Free State, Transvaal and the Defence of Ladysmith.

The siege of Ladysmith was part of the Boer War. My GF was a Sergeant with the Liverpool Regiment in the siege. It ended after 118 days on 28th of February 1900. Winston Churchill was in the cavalry patrol that relieved the siege.

Here is a link to researching pre-WW1 soldiers, assuming he was discharged before the end of 1913 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

If you cannot get to Kew Findmypast will be putting surviving records online by 2011. I will check a few books to see what else the 5DGs did in the war.

Ken

Offline caggym

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 5th dragoon guards 1900-1902
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 09 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much ken

I have tried to locate him and just couldn't find him. I do have a peice of card with ladysmith, 1900-1902 on it with a ribbon on it which i presume would have had his medals attached.

Thanks for the information too. Very interesting. I will have to try and get my husband to Kew, once we have tried to reserch a few more relatives.

Many thanks again for your very kind help. Much appreciated
Caroline