Author Topic: Arthur McDonald / James McAteer World War I medal roll  (Read 2645 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Arthur McDonald / James McAteer World War I medal roll
« on: Sunday 23 August 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Am really struggling to find Arthur Mc Donald, who disappears age 27, after 1891 Glasgow Census (living with mother and sisters).  He had brother James and sisters Julia and Bridget who all migrated to New Hampshire USA at various stages in late 1800's.  I'm failing to find Scottish death   records or census for 1901.  Also failing to find US migration info, or US census records for Arthur.

Now have found mysterious British World War I medal roll index cards for "Arthur McDonald/ James McAteer".  Would have ignored it, only that my Arthur's sister Bridget who went to the US, had a very strong connection with a McAteer family, in New Hampshere? ? coincidence.

Any ideas, anyone?  Can anyone decipher the cryptic info on this card?  Is this the same man, using two names - different regiments ! 

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only SMALL portions of such images may be posted for assistance with handwriting etc.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur McDonald / James McAteer World War I medal roll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 16:13 BST (UK) »
It is one man with two names and separate services – 131 Private Arthur McDonald West Yorkshire Regt and Deal/11757 James McAtteer of the Royal Marines.

If his papers survive as McDonald they will already be on Ancestry. Papers for the Royal Marines are being put online by a different project - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/marines/step2.htm. His might still to be loaded.

Regarding the information on the card I have posted a better image –

It might say – Rejoin(?) from navy ?? ?? admn (admiralty). ?? BW & V Medals.

BW = British War Medal
V = Victory Medal.

The ?? before BW might be a ’X &’ the X (cross) being one of the star medals. Or it might be 'of'. The ?? ?? might be 'claims', but it doesn't read correctly.

Hope that helps

Ken

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at both cards, the West Yorks card does not show any medal entitlement and the note is the same.

I read it as "Pro forma from Navy claiming administration of British War & Victory Medals 7/8/28"

I also notice that they both appear to say Deceased in the same ink and hand as the original card.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Looks obvious now Phil :-\

Ken

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 09 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken and Phil,

thanks a million for your prompt replies.  Phil, I agree with your reading of the notes on the medal roll card.  Ken, I will follow up the link to the Archives - re Marines and Yorkshire regiment.  Can you tell me where on Ancestry the link would be to McDonald Yorkshire reg?  and I will certainly look at the Marines Project. 

Hopefully I can find some personal details which could answer the questions - ? Why would he use two names? and is there any chance he could be the "lost Arthur McDonald" I am looking for.  Will be happy for any other comments.
Maggie
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 09 06:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Moderator,

My apologies - I presumed I could put the whole document online, rather than just the handwritten section.  thanks for your comments.

Maggie

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie

If they survived WW2 bombing Arthur's papers would have already been put online by Ancestry, either in the 'pensions' files or 'WW1 service records'. They have completed all pensions, and A to N of the service records.

The very low number for his West Yorks service is interesting. You may like to try and find surviving papers on Ancestry for men with similar numbers to find out when he enlisted, or try a post on the Great War Forum for the views of a West Yorks Regiment expert.

Also keep checking the NA Catalogue - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp - for McAtteer's RM papers. As part of the navy RM's records were not stored in the warehouse that was destroyed in the Blitz. So they should come online eventually.

Ken

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
HI Ken,

thanks again for your comments.  I think I have solved part of the story - that in fact this is not "my" Arthur MCDonald.  I was able to view his service record through Ancestry, and his mother was named - not the one we were looking for.  It was however quite an interesting story.  It appeared that he was charged with deserting, because there was this weird story about his enlisting - and being told that he was "too short" - being only 5 ft. 1 inch, instead of the obligatory 5ft. 3.  He later stated that the Recruitment officer told him to go away, which he duly did.... but they regarded him as enlisted and deserting!  And then he enlisted with another regiment - "fraudulently"... it all sounded weird, and did not actually explain the part about him using the other name James McAteer.  i was in fact unable to find records at the National Archives for James McAteer... And will not pursue it, as it has proved to not be connected with the Arthur McDonald I am looking for.

So, the mystery remains - I still struggle to find any records anywhere of Arthur McDonald (Born 1863 in Scotland), after he appears in the 1891 Scotland census.  Will keep looking.

But again - I have gained knowledge from posting on rootschat... I was unaware that I could find such detailled military records through Ancestry.com.... We live and learn !

Maggie