Author Topic: Where is the parish of Stoor?  (Read 18427 times)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the parish of Stoor?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 02 May 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Panda, how did you get on yesterday.  If te death cert has the mother;s name on it that would really help :)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 02 May 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hot off the press this morning I had the cert to scan in for my records. No parents names given as its an English cert. Date of birth given 3/7/.1906 Laig Sutherlandshire. This information was given by her son. So he only had the information that his mother had given him.
Did you manage to translate any of the place names I listed in the image I posted ? I'm trying to put together where she was living at key points in time so that I can help identify her on the census and birth records.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 02 May 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
hello panda,  made up a wee image of the key places involved for you.  i know they may seem very far apart, but there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between these areas back in the day.

the use of "Lairg, Sutherland" for her birth area can be quite misleading.  Lairg is the main postal town for much of north sutherland, while it also refers to the wee village itself (see dot on map), it doesnt necessarily mean she had a connection with the village, but rather the postal area.

had a look for the strathoykel born Williamina in 1911 census and she is a boarder, aged 4, in strathoykel, with a family of mackenzies.  perhaps something happened to her mother maggie?! and maybe the lack of connection with her mother led to confusion abt her actual birth date.....

conjecture v reality! how to find out for certain.......  :-\

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks anabana for the map. Its great when you have the local knowledge of an area.  Well according to her grandaughter our Wilhelmina was quite a girl. Apparently the story goes that she had an illegitimate child at the age of 16 and as far as she can remember she was sent to the Isle of Skye at the time.
She then had another illegitimate child in 1927 (this is the line I am tracing) before moving to England to marry in 1931.

She gave birth to 6 other children including a set of twins. Her grandaughter remembers Wilhelmina saying that her aunt was one of a twin or had twins. Sadly all of her children are no longer with us so there is little information to go on but I will keep on digging. The illegitimate Wilhelmina is looking a strong possibility at the moment.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk