Author Topic: William Wilson Mary Watson  (Read 4946 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Wilson Mary Watson
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I'm looking for William Wilson who was married to Mary Watson who I think lived in Mullingar. Their son William's marriage certificate, Geelong Victoria, April 1862 states that he was born in Mullingar that his father was a farmer.
I'm not even certain that they didn't at some stage come to Australia. Although a search of shipping has also told me nothing.
A search of the igi elicited nothing.
A google search also elicited nothing.
Any ideas of where I could search next would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Wren.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wilson Mary Watson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
You don't mention when son William was born but if he married in 1862 then likely born 1840 or earlier. Civil registration of Catolic marriages in Ireland started 1864, other marriages from 1845. Therefore you need to search for church records (if they exist).
IGI would have few records from that period and is no means complete. However, if you go to LDS online catalogue (www.familysearch.org) and check what church records they've microfilmed you might find some of the right religion and period.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey
THanks for your suggestion. William was born c 1833. I did a search of what was available on the igi, but nothing. I guess with such an early birth date its not going to be easy.
It appears that William Junior  was Protestant as they were married in the Anglican Church. However his wife was Presbyterian and for the remainder of their lives they were staunch supporters of the Presbyterian church in their local community.
With such a common name the searchis going to be less than easy.
Thanks
Wren

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 13 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
This afternoon I came across a William Wilson aged 18 and an Elizabeth Wilson aged 21 who arrived at Port Phillip on board the Joshua on January 30 1852. This entry said William was Irish. I could find no other details. I was wondering whether anyone had access to the ships log of the Joshua for this voyage. I'm shooting in the dark really quite happy to prove or disprove that this lad is mine.
My William married in Geelong in 1861.
Thanks
Wren

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 09:55 GMT (UK) »
...I was wondering whether anyone had access to the ships log of the Joshua for this voyage. I'm shooting in the dark really quite happy to prove or disprove that this lad is mine.

It might be be better searching Australian records for this type of information, as most details were kept at port of arrival.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane
you're right
Regards
Wren