Author Topic: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks  (Read 31317 times)

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 08:03 GMT (UK) »
You have got a long way back!  Yes, it is the same family.  My Elizabeth RENWICK goes through father John married to Isabella DIXON; father James 1800 married to Elizabeth DOWNING (2nd marriage); father William 1727 son of James RENNICK!  If you are having problems searching-just ask.

Could I ask you how you discovered that your LAYCOCK was a patternringmaker? :)

Offline dutch46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Nice to meet you cousin! I suppose you do have the dates for the Renwick's going back to John Rennicke, if not I will let you know what I have. May I ask if you have been able to find more about the Turner family? Hannah Turner married William Renwick in 1749. She was bapt. 17-07- 1726 as the daughter of Samuel Turner and Isabel Philipsen.( Marriage  01-07-1723). I have not been able to find the place of birth for Samuel Turner yet. When the name Turner popped up, for a moment I wondered if we have a famous painter in the family!
When my ancestor Charlotte Laycock was bapt. in 1817 at Newark the profession of father Richard Laycock was given as a patten ringmaker. He was married to Eliz.Chambers, dau of Robert Chambers and Jane Dickinson. I have traced the Chambers going back to Steven Chambers ca. 1611 at Ryton and the Dickinson's to Thomas Dickinson bapt.1590 at Chester le Street. Also the Allison family back to a marriage in 1599 at St.Oswald and the Wanles family back to a marriage in 1614 of Percival Wanles.
I wonder if we have any more connections in the Durham area.
Perry Essex, Scotting Lnd, Holeman Lnd, Adams Ldn, Yendole Somerset, Bailie Somerset, Stoel Somerset, Gardner Newark Notts, Bryan Newark Notts, Laycock Whickham C.Durham, Renwick Ryton C.Durham, Turner Ryton C.Durham, Chambers Ryton C.Durham, Dickinson Chester Le Street C.Durham,Wanles Chester Le Street C.Durham, Philipson Ryton C.Durham, King Leasinham Lincs., Barsley Lincs., Milner Lincs., Blow Lincs.,Webster Dartford Kent, Mitchel Kent, Bolton Kent, Hook Kent, Cox Dartford Kent,

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 04 November 10 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
Nice to meet you too, cousin.  I do have the RENWICK'S dates but I have not researched the female branches but I am motivated to do that now and have started.  May I ask you if I get stuck?  You've done amazingly well at tracing the family so far back, especially when you are based in the Netherlands.  My family is the TENCH family; we merely arrived in Winlaton in the late 1600s ,from where I have not not discovered-yet.  Needless to say, I am unable to help with Samuel TURNER.  However, are you aware that Durham Record Office has quite a lot on line?  Shame about the William TURNER angle; he did spend a period of time in the northeast.

Offline dutch46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 November 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Yes, please do ask when you get stuck. I am happy to help if I can. But I must say most of my ancestors from the Gateshead area I found with the aid of Durham Records on line. I like to do research of my pedigree, all my ancestors, both female and male lines. For me that means half English half Dutch as my father was Dutch and my mother English (Perry from London). Also I like to put some flesh on the bones, like the circumstances of life, local history etc. That's why I was very much interested in Ambrose Crowley and his ironworks. Although Ambrose Crowly took good care of his workman I still wonder if they had a very poor life and were living with a family in one room, also I wonder if my ancestors, before 1800, from that area  could have been working in the coalmines. Still many questions to answer.
Perry Essex, Scotting Lnd, Holeman Lnd, Adams Ldn, Yendole Somerset, Bailie Somerset, Stoel Somerset, Gardner Newark Notts, Bryan Newark Notts, Laycock Whickham C.Durham, Renwick Ryton C.Durham, Turner Ryton C.Durham, Chambers Ryton C.Durham, Dickinson Chester Le Street C.Durham,Wanles Chester Le Street C.Durham, Philipson Ryton C.Durham, King Leasinham Lincs., Barsley Lincs., Milner Lincs., Blow Lincs.,Webster Dartford Kent, Mitchel Kent, Bolton Kent, Hook Kent, Cox Dartford Kent,

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
hello Dutch46 :)
I have been catching up on RENWICKS as quickly as I could so that I can answer constructively when we discuss "connections" and ancestors in common :)  I'm back to your earliest mention now but I must say I have had a few problems along the way namely too many Hannah RENWICKS of the same age and quite a few females whose marriages or deaths I can't find :) Hope you're warm and snug in the Netherlands.  Lots of snow here.  Didn't get to the Newcastle Family History Society this last week as planned.

Offline dutch46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 December 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mr.Tibs,

Good to hear from you again and to know you have done some research of the Renwick's. I hope you don't mind that I will write towards the end of the week as I have just packed and tomorrow we re off to England, the Isle of Wight, for a funeral on Tuesday .(friend). We will return home on Wednesday.

Yes we too have had a lot of snow, just hope the weather/roads will be kind to us for the next few days.

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 10 December 10 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dutch
Sorry to hear your sad news and hope all went as well as can be expected.

Offline dutch46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 10 December 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mr. Tibbs,

Just wonder if you received my directmail (test) so we can discuss our common ancestors.
Bye
Dutch46

Offline mimi104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 December 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just found a entry note against the burial of an ancestor of mine, George Bennett:

Burials, Gateshead District - Record Number: 344142.2
Church: St. Mary
Denomination: Anglican
1 May 1782 George Bennett, of Swalwell (Crowley`s factory)

I have been reading through your posts and looked through the Swalwell website and was encouraged to find information about what their working lives were like. There is also a Cuthbert Bennett who at the burial of a son Leonard Bennett, was noted as being a 'pauper, cooper' - would it have been possible that he was also a Crowley worker at some point with his profession?

Any information on the Bennett's of Whickham, Lanchester, Hexham, Weardale, Tanfield, Durham would be most appreciated. I have as far back as a Cuthbert Bennett born about 1660, father of George, Cuthbert, Mary, Joshua, Dorothy and another George.

Thanks
Marie