Author Topic: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks  (Read 31320 times)

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrose Crowley-Winlaton ironworks
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie and welcome :)
As you can see the Ambrose CROWLEY factory is  partially mystery because the records appear to have been destroyed but we live in hope that more than one copy was made and that someone somewhere holds those.  There are BENNETS living in the Blaydon area near Winlaton or at least there were in the 1960s.  Your pauper, Cuthbert, who had been a cooper COULD have worked for Crowleys or he could have been self employed and did some work for them.  I suspect that he was not an employee as he would have been looked after by Crowley's even if he could nolonger work.  On the other hand, maybe he would not live and work by the rules of the factory, which spread into daily life e.g. drank too much, and so was sacked.

Will keep an eye open for BENNETS.  Merry Christmas :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 December 10 09:13 GMT (UK) »
For anyone who lives nearby, there will be a talk entitled 'Sir Ambrose Crowley and Clockhouse Lane' by Gordon Scorer, at Hexham Local History Society on Tuesday 13th September 2011. Trinity Methodist Church Hall, Beaumont Street, 7.30pm.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jennifer :)
Thank you very much for the info.  My Family History Journal just goes up to June so I was not aware.  I shall certainly be there!! ;D ;D ;D.  Could you tell me which "village" Alex Johnson is remembering on 14 April?
Happy New Year :)

Offline Sggbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Stephen Beech, I live in New York, USA.  Charlotte Laycock Gardner was my GG Grandmother. My mother was a Gardner. I would like a connection please to share notes etc.

Thanks

Steve Beech

Offline dutch46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Nice to hear from you again. I believe we have been in touch in 2009. Do you still have the same email address at verizon.net?
If so I will write to your email address.

Perry Essex, Scotting Lnd, Holeman Lnd, Adams Ldn, Yendole Somerset, Bailie Somerset, Stoel Somerset, Gardner Newark Notts, Bryan Newark Notts, Laycock Whickham C.Durham, Renwick Ryton C.Durham, Turner Ryton C.Durham, Chambers Ryton C.Durham, Dickinson Chester Le Street C.Durham,Wanles Chester Le Street C.Durham, Philipson Ryton C.Durham, King Leasinham Lincs., Barsley Lincs., Milner Lincs., Blow Lincs.,Webster Dartford Kent, Mitchel Kent, Bolton Kent, Hook Kent, Cox Dartford Kent,

Offline Sggbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambrose,

Yes my email is still the same....I'm just two years older!

Steve Beech

Offline ChristopherBarst44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 05 May 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
This is my first time on this site but I have an interest in the Spencer family who worked at Winlaton Mill from around 1700 to 1810 until John Spencer (1785-1867) started his own business first in Newcastle and then at Newburn. I have found 4 generations of Spencer all baptised at Winlaton Mill intermarried with Crook, Cruddas, Wilkinson, Bourn,  Gardener, Stapleton, Allporte. I would be interested to know whether anybody knows more about the 17th and 18th Century Spencers and I would be happy to share what I have.

When I was up in the North East recently I was pointed in the direction of the Crowley order book for 1711/12  which is on microfiche in Gateshead Library. It was extremely interesting as the Crowley business seems to have been closely managed by Crowley in London but sadly from my admittedly quick read contained no information about the Spencers.

Has anybody come across a Philip Spencer living in the 19th Century and described as a nail manufacturer of Swalwell? I think he died in the 1860s. Also I am looking for further details  John Spencer's daughter Jane born 1822 who married a Spoor?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Christopher

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 05 May 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome to Rootschat!  ;D  A look at the freeBMD site reveals that a Jane Spencer married an Edward Spoor in 1869 in Newcastle on Tyne,   Is this the couple you are seeking?  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline ChristopherBarst44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 06 May 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for reply. The names certainly fit. Jane Spencer would have been 47 in 1869-quite old for a wedding. Annoyingly I cant find either her or her father in the 1861 census which would have been some sort of a check. On the other hand I think I found them both in the 1871 census which gives her age as 48 and her husband as 50 and described as retired surveyor. It looks as though he may have been a widower. Jane gives her place of birth as Newcastle but my Jane was Newburn. On balance I think the connection is quite likely.

Thanks for your help
Christopher