Author Topic: Army records and/or Absent Voters list please  (Read 3899 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army records and/or Absent Voters list please
« on: Friday 28 August 09 19:21 BST (UK) »
I am seeking my grandfather Thomas John Roberts army records, as yet I have drawn a blank looking for it!  Thomas was the son of William and Mary Roberts, born 1879-1880 Blaina, South Wales.  He lived at Bournvill Road (Glanyrafon Terrace) with his common law wife Sarah Ann Austin (cousin).  He eventually married Sarah in 1919, after apparently going missing presumed dead in the 1st World War.  I dont know what else will be required, but I know myself and my mother will be eternally greatful, she has reached the age of 81 and would love to know what happened to her father during the 1st World War, I would love to restore the army medals (that were sold in a pub in Blaina for £5) or a copy of to her.

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army records and/or Absent Voters list please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Finding a Roberts from south wales will be a hard task. I suggest you concentrate on the AVL, as this will give his regiment and maybe his number - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/avl.htm If his town is not on the list, try the local FH centre. Even the standard electoral roll might give some details.

Ancestry haven't got to the Rs yet. So unless he applied for a pension, his records will not be online, assuming they survived WW2 bombing.

Ken