Author Topic: Marriage look up request -Jersey  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Clever clogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage look up request -Jersey
« on: Saturday 29 August 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if someone can let me have some details of a marriage that took place in Jersey between Florence Elise LE NEVEU who was born there and Albert Edward BACKHOLLER or BACKHOLER.

Their first child was born in 1919, and my cousin, who made brief contact with this chap, the eldest son (now sadly deceased) told him that Albert and Florence had met in Jersey when he was stationed over there during the war.

I am therefore assuming that they married in 1918 or early 1919, but it would be nice to know whereabouts in Jersey and the date, or at least confirm the year.

I am not absolutely sure about Florence's ancestry, but according to her death record in 1981, she was born in 1895, and having had a look on the 1901 census, that probably makes her the daughter of a Charles and Elise le Neveu living at St Brelade.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ellen

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up request -Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen

Florence Elsie Le Nevue married Albert Edward Backholer on 3rd October 1917 in St Brelade's, Jersey.

Albert was 25 years old, a bachelor  and at the time gave his address as St Brelade's. He was a solidier in the Machine Gun Corps. and was born in Crawley, Surrey. His father was James Backholer, a horseman.

Florence was 22 years old, a spinster and again gave her address as St Brelade's. No profession was given. She was born in St Brelade's. Her father was Charles John Peter Baptiste Le Neveu, a fisherman.

Witnesses were John Charles Le Motee and Violet Rubby (yes, 2 b's) Le Neveu.

The reference is St Brelade's marriages, May 1909 to January 1923, page 168.

Stewart

Offline Clever clogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up request -Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stewart

That's great. I really appreciate this.