Author Topic: Hilditch family of Antrim  (Read 14982 times)

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hilditch family of Antrim
« on: Tuesday 12 May 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful to hear of anyone who has any information at all about this family, no matter how remote. (The surname may also be spelt Hillritch/Hillditch/Hillerege/Hillrich etc)

They appear to arrive in Antrim in the 1600s, settling around Carrickfergus. They then seem to spread out from there.

I am especially interested in any of the Hilditch family in Belfast, where I am looking for a number of baptisms, including John (about 1847), Robert (about 1852), Hugh (about 1854) and Samuel (about 1861). There were also girls - Margaret, Edith and Elizabeth, but I have no dates for them. The family were in the Shankill area in the 1870s.

I believe the family originally came from the Doagh / Ballyeaston /Donegore / Grange area, with other family also in Larne, Ballymena and Carrickfergus.

Any information would be most useful. Thank you.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hilditch family of Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
do you have any parents names.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
I have Elizabeth ?Hebditch on my tree but only one i can find is b 1859 Somerset. As all my family is either b Cumberland or Ireland (mainly Down), with no other links to Somerset - I wonder whether there is a transcription error - and she should be Hilditch?? 'My' Elizabeth m James Gribbin b IOM 1859. An irish link would be the most logical......do you have any possible Elizabeths?

Thanks in advance

maryd
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 07:50 BST (UK) »
I have many for Antrim, but none for Down, though of course they were very close, especially from Belfast. It would help if I knew which Census years you could find her on? Does 1OM stand for Isle of Man? One of the varients I have found my own family under was Helditch, which isn't that far from Hebditch!

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi kingsgate

Do you have details of the Hilditch burial in Templecorran graveyard, there is only one gravestone and it only has death dates not birth or age

Helena

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
No, I am afraid I do not have have any details of the Templecorran gravestone but would very much like to.

I am especially looking for a family where the parents are Hugh and Agnes, but will be happy to have any information about any members of this family. Thanks for your interest. Kingsgate

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 09 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
IOM does stand for Isle of Man...and found 'my' Elizabeth on 1861 census and then not at all until marriage....probably no link whatsoever but given that there is no logical link between this family and Somerset...I thought a similar name in Ireland might be the answer???Back to the drawing board methinks!!!!!!
Sorry to take your time
Maryd
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Maryd

No problem at all - if she was only 'Hebditch' on one entry you could well be right about a Hilditch connection. Do you have her marriage certificate or know where her marriage was?

There are LOTS of the Irish Hilditch's who emigrated to Englad in the 1800s.  Many went to Scotland. The IOM would have been on the sea route too perhaps? Actually - though I can't prove it - I rather think the family came from England in the first place, as there was a crop who were living in Staffordshire and Cheshire in the 1500s. Somerset

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 09 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Templecorran Graveyard

John Hilditch d. 10 June 1898 his wife Elizabeth d. 10 Feb 1922 daughter Minnie d. 13 July 1893 daughter Elizabeth d. 31 march 1965

Helena