Author Topic: Hilditch family of Antrim  (Read 14981 times)

Offline gcloyal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hilditch family of Antrim
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 September 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated Kingsgate.
You have solved another mystery for me - I have in my possession a 1914/15 Star belonging to William Marquis 15th Batt Royal Irish Rifles who was killed in action 1/7/16 at the Somme. I found him on the Covenant  PRONI records and got a few details on the Commonwealth War Graves site but couldn't find anything else. However I am assuming that the William John Marks at Cahoon Street was actually William John Marquis. Incidentially on the Commonwealth War Graves site and Thiepval memotial his name is spelt as Marduis.
Thanks again and would appreciate anything else you might have.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 September 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   William Hilditch married Catherine Marquis on 10 Nov 1884 in St. Annes Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast.

An Ancestry site lists William MARGUIS (sic) Killed in Action on 1 Jul 1916. It states that he was born in Mallusk, Co. Antrim

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi CGLoyal - I've sent you a PM with details of the marriages and baptisms that I have, plus a couple of other bits and pieces - should get you back to the 1790s.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 September 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell  - I have details of all the marriage cert info, but the info about the death is very helpful.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 April 24 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, it’s by a long time since I last posted, but have been beavering away at this tough family history nut, and think I’ve cracked part of it, though have limited documentary proof, so see what you think.

Many years ago I discovered the earliest references I could find to the Hilditch family were from Staffordshire. At the time my brother lived in Stafford, so I was able to spend quite a bit of time in the Stafford record office. There were references to the Hilditch family of Betley, some of whom were also listed in the recusancy rolls of Elizabeth 1st. I then found details of a farm called HILDITCH (now long  gone) but being a new researcher didn’t know enough to record the details. Nevertheless it was old enough to suggest it was probably the source of the surname.

Fast forward a few years and DNA comes in, and lo and behold I discover I have DNA connections to the Staffordshire/Cheshire Hilditch family. So now I think I can suggest a fairly accurate link to how they ended up in Ireland, especially given that so many of the Hilditch family in Ireland say the family originally came from Holland.

First for those that don’t know, here’s a bit of background history. James II became king after the death of his brother Charles II. James was married twice. By his first wife, Ann Hyde, he had two daughters, Mary and Anne. (Both later inherited the throne). Mary married William of Orange (in Holland) and moved to Holland to be with her husband. Following the death of Anne Hyde, James remarried, but this time he converted to Catholicism, and married a Roman Catholic. This did not go down at all well with the English who remembered the Protestant burnings of (‘Bloody’) Mary Tudor and were concerned as they watched as James started to persecute the Presbyterians. However they knew that his Protestant daughter Mary was next in line to inherit, so bided their time.  Then, late in life, James had a baby son, a son that would inherit the throne as a catholic king  (the ‘warming pan’ baby, who later became father of Bonnie Prince Charlie). That was the trigger for the population to think of revolution. In the end, in 1688 William of Orange came over with an army in the ‘bloodless’ revolution, James left by the back door and fled to France,  and William and his wife Mary became joint king and queen of England.

I believe that by then certainly at least one branch of the HILDITCH family had become Presbyterian. They were persecuted by king James. It’s widely documented that many Presbyterians fled to Holland at this time, to seek protection from William and Mary. I think that one of them was William Hilditch together with at least one brother, most likely called Robert. (There is documentary evidence to this effect in one branch of the family). They then returned to England with William when he became king in 1688. They certainly went with King William when he invaded Ireland in 1680,  as about then is the first time they appear in Irish records, when William Hilditch is recorded on the lease of land at the Commons, which is near Carrickfergus Castle. (confirmed by the Ulster Historical Foundation). William Hilditch is also recorded as being a Burgess of Carrickfergus Castle - a representative of the borough with a right to vote. It also appears he was heavily involved in the setting up of the first Presbyterian church in Antrim.
At about the same time adverts exist for a Robert Hilditch who was trading out of Belfast. This must have been either William’s brother, or son. 
From then on the family start slowly to spread out, but invariably centred out from Carrickfergus, so you see them in Belfast, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston and about as far north as Ballymena - but almost all are mostly found in that roughly triangular area of Belfast, Carrickfergus and Ballymena. This is undoubtedly the same family, despite the alternative spellings of the surname.

There are certainly plenty of alternatives in my own twig of the tree. I was very fortunate indeed, given the appalling state of Irish records, that my grandfather stayed in contact with his uncle , and namesake, Thomas who had emigrated to Montreal about 1880 and as the French Canadians couldn’t pronounce Hilditch had changed it to Hillrich/ Hilrich, as witnessed in family letters and by the visit of a cousin in WW1. Likewise another cousin, John, had emigrated to the USA as Hilleridge, ending up in Cedar Rapids. It was also my grandfather who related that the family had first lived in Ayrshire, before moving to Glasgow for work, though he hadn’t realised they had cone from Antrim to Scotland.

Think I can now have a better stab at my Irish Ancestry, though much must be surmised from surviving scraps and some assumptions, the main one being they followed the Scottish naming pattern, first son names after paternal grandfather, second after maternal on, and so on. I’ll post more on this later.

So what do you think? Does all make sense?
I’d love to hear back what you think.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 22 April 24 12:11 BST (UK) »
Time to add infabout my own branch, which have been so elusive.

My great grandfather was called Hugh Hilditch, born about 1854 -1913, most likely in Belfast. He worked in the linen trade as a calico printer, which was a skilled job as it required mixing the dyes.

He had a number of siblings
1. John, 1847 -1917. Married Anna MacKenzie. Emigrated to Cedar Rapids USA as John Hilleridge
2. Margaret 1849. Believed she emigrated to Canada with brother Thomas and never married.
3. Robert, 1852. Married Isabella in Glasgow and had George (1879-1882) and Agnes (b/d 1880). After Isabella’s death he married a widow, Hannah Lees, in England and helped to raise her children.
4. (Hugh 1854-1913 - see above)
5. Elizabeth (1856 - 1939) married William Wilton, b 1854, a sculptor. Had 6 sons and 4 daughters, many born in the USA, before returning to Belfast.
6. Edith 1858. Cannot track her down.
7. Thomas 1858-1930. Married Isabella Raymond (1856-1900) in Belfast. Emigrated to Canada from Glasgow and settled in Montreal as Thomas Hilrich. Had children Robert John Raymond, 1877; Mary Edith 1879; Thomas jnr 1886 - 1921 (died of wounds from being gassed in WW1, leaving widow and 2 children) ; Hugh Charles 1856-1951), William 1891, and twins Edgar and Reginald 1896.
8. Samuel (1861 - 1937. ) married firstly Esther Jane McNally (1866-1894) and had Agnes (1892-94) and Catherine (1889-1895), then remarried and had Mary Anne (Minnie) b 1896 and Samuel (1899). All born in Belfast. Neither Minnie nor Sam ever married or had children. Samuel senior) worked for Harland and Wolfe on the ship’s boilers, and worked on Olympic, Titanic and Britannic. My father recalled visiting him at his then home in Down pre world war 2.
There was another sister called Agnes who went to Cnada with Thomas, but again I can’t find any reference to her or her year of birth.

My great grandfather Hugh married 3 times-
1. In Belfast to Jane Armour  (1852-1880) in 1872. They emigrated to Scotland where Jane died of TB. They had one son, also Hugh, 1873 -1886. He died aged 14 of appendicitis in England.
2. In Glasgow, Scotland in 1884 to Isabella Ritchie. They had 2 sons , Archibald (1885-1886, named for his maternal grandfather), and Duncan (b/d 1889). They had moved to England by the time Duncan was born but his mother died at his birth of heart failure, and he was taken back to Glasgow by his maternal grandparents, where he died a few weeks later. Isabella is buried in an unmarked grave at Mossley cemetery, Ashton under Lyne.

Hugh, as mentioned earlier was a calico printer, and worked at factories owned by members of the CPA - the calico printers association. This was a group of owners who shared information and training, and employees could move around between the factories for work and training. This is how he ended up in Denshaw which then was part of Yorkshire (now considered part of greater Manchester though it’s miles away), at Denshaw Vale Printworks. There he married his third wife, Ada Graham, 1866-1935 in 1890.  They went on to have 10 children together. Hugh and Ada are buried together at Denshaw church.

Hugh and his siblings were the children of Hugh Hilditch and Agnes, known as Nancy, McConnell, who married at Donegore church in 1844 - just one year before civil registration which would have given the name of their fathers. However the register notes Agnes was ‘of Ballywee’ and Hugh was of ‘Ballyeaston’. Agnes was in a census so know she was born in 1821,  and there is a baptismal entry for Agnes McConnell of Ballywee in 1821, the daughter of Andrew McConnell and Eliza Boyd.
However Hugh is more of a mystery. I assume he would have been born about 1815 - 1821.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 22 April 24 12:12 BST (UK) »
I would love to find the name of Hugh’s father. There are 2 or 3 possibles.
Ballyeaston covers the tiny cluster of cottages that is Ballyhamage. In the later lists, a Robert and a John Hilditche are both listed there. They could be brothers or father and son. There is also a Robert listed there earlier, born about 1777, married to Ginny who is almost certainly their father and who records the death of a young grandson named Robert Hugh. Either of these two could be his father. My Hugh - as Hugh ‘Kilditch’ - was certainly witness of a wedding of a Thomas HILDITCH,aged 21,  flax dresser of Ballyhamage - son of Thomas, to Annie Dougherty of Ballyclare 11th January 1866. I suspect going by the age this was a nephew - so it could be

Robert
Thomas
Or John.
Just to add to the mix there was a Hugh just down the road who was publican of an inn in Ballyclare, but he died in 1812. However if Hugh was older than Nancy then it’s possible.

Hugh senior must have died between 1873 to 1877 as he was first listed as being deceased on the marriage entry of 1877. By that time his widow Nancy / Agnes was living in Glasgow with her sons Samuel, Robert and Hugh. They are all listed there in the 1881 census, and Nancy is a widow. They must have gone there with John and Thomas as well, as both emigrated from Glasgow about 1880. Yet I can’t find a death entry in either Scotland or Ireland for their father Hugh. I know Nancy returned to Belfast with youngest son Samuel - and can’t find her death entry either, as Nancy or Agnes - in either Scotland, Ireland or even England.

The other aspect is that both Ballyeaston registers survived. The family are not mentioned in one, the other is reported as being faded to invisibility. My father paid for an examination of the latter to see if it was possible to do anything to get the print back - but no - every page (at least at present) remains apparently blank.

So any thoughts?

I’m sure they are all brothers, uncles etc, but can’t make sense of it except I’m pretty sure the elder Robert was either the father or the grandfather. However the first son was called John. Is that a clue? Or was there an earlier child who pre deceased him?

Any thoughtful suggestions welcome!