Author Topic: Elizabeth Augusta STODDART born 1867  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Wilbs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Augusta STODDART born 1867
« on: Monday 31 August 09 07:48 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Augusta Stoddart was born in Liverpool in 1867. She married Richard Green, a marine fireman, in Everton Liverpool in 1885 and went on to have at least 5 children to him. (William, Richard, George, Ellen & May Josephine)

In the 1891 census they are living in 6 of 6 Court, Horatio Street, Liverpool.
In the 1901 census they are living at 7 Garibaldi Street, Everton, Liverpool.

Husband Richard was killed in a ship accident in early 1905, so in late 1905 Elizabeth Augusta married another Green – this time John Green, born 1854 in Liverpool.  (I haven’t worked out yet whether 1st and 2nd husbands were related.)

In the 1911 census, the family is at 35 Copperas Hill, Liverpool and John is a carter. (He had a knife and scissor sharpening “business”, pushing his cart door-to-door.) With them are some of the eldest children plus a handful of new ones.

I’m struggling to find Elizabeth Augusta’s birth or family in the 1871 or 1881 census.  All searches are turning up the only daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth F Stoddart, a ship owner & broker from Perth, Scotland. A street-view Google of their addresses shows some very desirable real estate.

As much as I’d like to claim this well-to-do family as mine, it doesn’t fit in with Elizabeth Augusta’s financial or housing circumstances and the 1901 Scottish census shows an elderly Alexander Stoddart back in Scotland accompanied by his unmarried daughter.

So, can anyone find my Elizabeth Stoddart?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Best wishes

Wilbs

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Augusta STODDART born 1867
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilbs

There is an Augusta Stoddart b 1866 in West Derby / Liverpool?

1871 census
RG 10/3840 folio 48 pg 25
Vane Street, West Derby

William Stoddart; head; mar; 33; boot & shoe worker; Liverpool
Elizabeth do; wife; mar; 30; Manchester
Fanny do; dau; 11; Manchester
Agusta (!); dau; 5; Liverpool
William do ; son; 3; Liverpool
Charles do; son; 7 mo; Liverpool
Linda do; dau; 9; Manchester

1881 census
RG 11/3656 folio 50 pg 35
23 Netherfield Road South, Everton

William Stoddart; head; mar; 43; shoemaker; Liverpool
Elizabeth do; wife; mar; 40; Ireland, Dublin
Linda do; dau; unm; 19; Manchester
Augusta do; dau; 15; Liverpool
William do; son; 13; Liverpool
Charles do; son; 11; Liverpool
Louisa do; dau; 5; Liverpool
George do; son; 2; Liverpool

To be sure, you may need to invest in one of the marriage certificates to check her father's name but this occupation is nearer the mark for her husband's status later.

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilbs

There are birth registrations for Fanny & Linda in the Hulme district of Manchester in 1859 & 1861 respectively.

There is also a marriage at Manchester Cathedral for William Stoddart & Elizabeth Brown - 23 Aug 1858.

Augusta Stoddart birth West Derby Q4 1865

1861 census
3 White Street, Hulme, Manchester
RG9/2898 folio 68 pg 18

William Stoddart; head; mar; 24; bootmaker; Liverpool
Elizabeth do; wife; mar; 26?; Dublin
Fanny do; dau; 2; Hulme

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wilbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sandra, for your prompt reply.  This certainly looks like my family, especially as the christian names have flowed down the generations.

Oh dear.  My hopes of a big unclaimed inheritance have suddenly disappeared!

Best wishes

Wilbs

Offline TygerSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 15 03:10 BST (UK) »
Wilbs and sarah, I realize that this is a thread from the long lost past, but I believe that Elizabeth Augusta STODDART is my maternal great-great-aunt, whom my mother always referred to as "Nan".

Certainly my mother's characterization of her lives up to the facts as we know them; Nan was the matriarch who lived in a big house up the hill, ruled her family with an iron rod, drove her carriage and horses by herself, etc. I have a lot of stories about her that my mother regaled me with.

My question is this. Her second marriage was to a John Green with whom she had two children and they are listed as living in at Copperas Hill in the 1911 census. But what happened to John then. Several ancestry.com trees have him dying in 1918 in a Liverpool workhouse. I don't see him going from riches to rags in seven years but there are so many other John Greens I don't know how to winnow out Nan's real one.

Any help would be appreciated…

Philip
Stoddart, Jones, Brown

Offline Wilbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip

Lovely to hear from you.  Elizabeth Stoddart is my maternal great grandmother and your description of "nan" is absolutely correct.  In the mid 1930's my mum was sent to live with her grandmother (Elizabeth) for several months whilst her own mum was ill.  My mum described Elizabeth as totally Victorian - small, thin, long black dress, grey hair pulled back severely in a bun and ruled with an iron fist. Elizabeth ran the fruit & vege shop from the front room of a terrace house and it was mum's job to let her know when customers arrived and to cut the bruises off apples so they could be sold for a penny each.  There was a very large portrait of Elizabeth which used to hang in the parlour and I would love to find that.

John did die in the workhouse on 14th April 1918.  I have his death certificate but it was a hospital at the time.  Since posting my initial request I've discovered that the first husband (Richard Green) didn't die at sea.  Family stories get twisted over the years.

Best wishes

Wilbs

Offline Wilbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Oops sorry, John's death was 14 March 1918 (not April) and the workhouse was Walton Hospital.  John died of "Rectal abscess (bilateral) with extensive gangrenous slough. Cardiac failure after operation on 12 March 1918" which sounds very painful.

I'd love to hear which branch of the family you are from and your stories.  Please feel free to send me a personal email.

Best wishes

Wilbs

Offline TygerSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
By the way, SandraC, my apologies for misnaming you sarah before.

Philip
Stoddart, Jones, Brown

Offline TygerSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
Wilbs,

I'd love to find a new cousin and chat. I think this third posting enables me to send a PM now...

Philip
Stoddart, Jones, Brown