Author Topic: Hadnett......HELP!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline wardleyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hadnett......HELP!
« on: Monday 31 August 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi New to this, so here goes. My apologies if I go on too much.
I m trying to find information about James Austin Hadnett and his ancestors.
James was born in Nov 1898 to Edward and Elizabeth Hadnett in Westport Co Mayo. He married some one who I think was called Flossie, and they had a son ---------- (he later emigrated to Australia). I believe Flossie died and James moved to liverpool in the 1940's and remarried.
My Mum thinks that he started to study to be a doctor (although that wasn t  his profession). He had 2 sisters, Ida Florence b 1901 and Edith Annie b1907 they both ended up in Liverpool as well.
Edward was a Sergeant in The Royal Irish Constabulary in th 1911 census and they lived on John's Row Westport Urban.
In 1901 they lived at the same address but had 2 of Edwards sister in laws living with them. Ida Collins b1876 she was a telegraphist and Florence B1878 she was a confectioner.
Edward hadnett was born in Co Tipperary in 1870 and Elizabeth was born in 1871 in Mayo or Armagh.
Any information would be great!
Diane x

Moderator's Comment: Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so if anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hadnett......HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've had to edit your post to remove details of possible living person but have found some information to start with for you.

Looks like the marriage-
Edward HADNETT - marriage Jan./Mar.1898 Westport registration district volume 4 page 327 (Elizabeth COLLINS- same index details). With these details you can order a copy of the marriage certificate which should list fathers' names and occupations.
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Only 5 entries for 'Edward Hadnett' in civil registrations came up (one was the marriage) and no possible birth which makes me wonder if Edward's birth was registered without a Christian name ('male' Hadnett). See here to search civil registration index-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

LDS (www.familysearch.org) has some, not all Irish births 1864-c1882) and Edward wasn't listed but found possible family for Elizabeth Collins but marriage certificate would confirm if her father's name was James-

James Collins m. Jane Warmington. Children-
daughter born 1 Apr.1865 Crossmaglen, Co.Armagh
Elizabeth born 8 Oct.1866 Westport, Co.Mayo (either your Elizabeth older than census age or this could be older sibling died young)
James born 7 Dec.1869 Westport
son born 19 Jan.1872 Westport (submitted record)
Jane born 24 Aug.1873 Co.Mayo
William Earnest born 21 Mar.1875 Co.Mayo
Florence Evely Eugenie born 22 Feb.1877 Co.Mayo
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wardleyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information x

Offline wardleyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
I ve been able to trace a death record for Elizabeth and it puts her d o b as 1866 as your post says. Thank you again! D x

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Guy's Postal Directory 1914 lists a Sergeant W F Hadnett in charge of Monkstown Station, Co Dublin.

I also recall a Hadnett's Shop in Dundrum, Co Dublin in the early 1960s and I'm pretty certain it was run by a Policeman and his wife.

Cheers

Offline wardleyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you x