Author Topic: 1861/71 lookup please - John James HORN  (Read 7360 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
1861/71 lookup please - John James HORN
« on: Monday 31 August 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,
I am looking for John James Horn born Plymouth 1844 on these censuses.
He was a stoker in the Royal Navy from 1871 and was found on the 1871 census previously,but I wasn't given any details of where he was living etc. He was transcribed as John S Horn. We haven't been able to find him at all in 1861. ANy help would be much appreciated. This has been a long search and when we think we have him it is always confused with another John James Horne of a similar age.
Thanks
Kind Regards
Nooshie
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 lookup please surname 'Horn'
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Just to add to the information on the link, the vessel Caledonia  was in the Port of Naples on the night of the 1871 census. It was classed as an Iron Clad Frigate.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 lookup please surname 'Horn'
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
In 1861 he was on the "Terrible" at anchor in Corfu Roads -( that is what the original document says)
RG9/4440/216/18

It had twenty-one guns and the captain was Fred H H Glasse.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 lookup please - John James HORN
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks a bunch!!

Offline Muggins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 April 10 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Nooshie -

I just joined RootsChat. I saw your inquiry about John James Horne. That was the name of my great-great grandfather. He was born around 1840-1850. He was a stoker in the Royal Navy in Plymouth. His wife's name was Lettice Horne (nee Buckney). He's not listed in the 1881 census because he's at sea, but you can find Lettice Horn and her three daughters and one son. That son, John George Buckney Horne, was my great grandfather. I confirmed all this when I went to Plymouth and obtained a copy of his birth certificate. I don't know if this is the same J.J. Horne you're looking for, but I hope this helps!

Muggins
Plymouth/Devon - Lishmund, Lutley, Horne and Buckney;
Glasgow/London - Currie;
Shropshire - Jenks;
Ireland (Co. Cork) - Burke

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 April 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Nice of you to contact us. Our Great Great Grandfather was John Horn of Plymstock (Plymouth). He had a son, (amongst a few others!!), called John James Horn. There were 2 men of the same name living in Plymouth and born in Plymouth around the same time and we have never been able to establish which one is our relative. As our Great Great Grandfather was also in the Navy in his youth , we thought that this John James maybe our relative. Any info to clarify this would be great ,but we could be related.
Thanks
Kind Regards
Nooshie

Offline Muggins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 April 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nooshie! -

I just noticed your spelling of 'Horn', whereas 'my' John James' last name was spelled 'Horne', which may indicate that it's not the same person (though obviously, much worse mispellings happened all the time in censuses and other records) Unfortunately I don't have much more than I gave you; my great grandfather, John George Buckney's birth certificate (1877), lists his father as John James Horne; occupation: "Stoker R.N." living with his wife Lettice Elizabeth Ann Horne (nee Buckney) at 39 Granby Street, Devonport (registration district: Stoke Damerel, sub-district: Morice). Their daughters were Florella, Ethelinda and Maria (and it's possible there were two more children some time after the census - Edmund and Nora). As I said, this John James was at sea during the 1881 census, so finding the name of his ship might be helpful. I'll see what I can find. Are you living in Devon yourself? I loved it when I was there visiting, back in 2004. I live in Canada.

Thanks again.

Muggins
Plymouth/Devon - Lishmund, Lutley, Horne and Buckney;
Glasgow/London - Currie;
Shropshire - Jenks;
Ireland (Co. Cork) - Burke

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 April 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!  Our Horne started out as "Horn" and the "e" was added by our family sometime in the 1800's.    Our grandfather ended up as Horne with the added "e"!   The marriage certificate of John James and Lettice might glean the information required as it would show John's father's name.   We are in Plymouth in glorious Devon!