Author Topic: Look-up offer: Waterloo by neil1821  (Read 812 times)

Offline Hythloday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-up offer: Waterloo by neil1821
« on: Monday 31 August 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
I have been having trouble replying to neil1821's look up offer for Waterloo, so I hope I have done the right thing in replying here. (Apologies if I haven't, but I'm new!) Neil, thank you for your kind offer: fingers crossed that you can help me.

My Great Great Great Great Grandfather, John Thorn (sometimes spelled Thorne) was a Chelsea out-pensioner living in Shipston-on-Stour (which was then in Worcestershire, now in Warwickshire) in later life. He was born in 1781 in Shipston-on-Stour and was married to Hannah Gibbs, also in Shipston-on-Stour, in 1801. He died in Shipston-on-Stour in 1869, aged 89. According to his death certificate he was a Chelsea Pensioner and served with the "1st Regiment of Foot." The 1851 Census confirms that he was a Chelsea Pensioner and that he formerly worked as a weaver. I understand that many of those in the British ranks serving under Wellington at Waterloo were weavers, which is why I thought I would give this a try. (I haven't been able to find anything else out about his service record or pension, so if anyone knows a good place to start I would be interested to know.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.