Author Topic: de Sales - from New Orleans to Sligo  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
de Sales - from New Orleans to Sligo
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 02:48 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to trace the arrival in Ireland of an ancestor, Francois de Sales, who apparently spent some time in Sligo.  The details I have from the 1911 census and church baptism records are as follows:

Francois b. New Orleans in 1862/3; carpenter
His mother, Elizabeth b. Roscommon in 1834/5.
His wife, Margret, b. Sligo 1862/3
His daughters, Mary Elizabeth & Margaritta Jane, b. Sligo 1881 & 1882 respectively
The subsequent children were born in Dublin, the first in 1884/5.

My guess is that Elizabeth migrated to the US around the time of the Famine, married a de Sales (my money is on someone called Louis, as this is a popular given name in the family), and then returned to Ireland (widowed?) with her son.  Francois then met Margret, got married in a hurry and, after a couple of years, moved to Dublin.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look for their entry into Ireland?

Thanks for any advice

Eddie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: de Sales - from New Orleans to Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Francois Desales married Apr./June 1880 Dublin South registration district (marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation).
There's also a death for an Elizabeth Desales Jan./Mar.1912 Dublin South (age 65) and birth for Margaret Jane Desales July/Sept.1882 Sligo.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
As far as I know, there are no online records of passengers from U.S. to Ireland (and not sure if such records do exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey

Thank you so much for your information and advice.  My original hypothesis re Francois has a couple of holes in it now, but that’s all part of the fun, isn’t it?  At least I have another avenue to explore.

Thanks for the tip about passenger lists - I’ll just keep looking, I guess. If I can find out who the father is then perhaps I can start investigating the American end and possibly get all the way back to France.

Thanks once again

Eddie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
There's lots of New Orleans data available online- newspaper notices, etc. which might help. Will see if I can find the website references and post them here.

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
Fantastic - thanks.

I've had a bit of a look around for New Orleans stuff, but there's so much (of varying quality, it seems), it's very confusing. Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Eddie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:02 BST (UK) »