Author Topic: twemlows  (Read 866 times)

Offline DJTARCLYD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
twemlows
« on: Friday 04 March 05 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Doing a one name study, grateful for any contact about them. Dead or Alive. Free information about the same.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: twemlows
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned the name Twemlow to my mum today.She said there used to be a butchers in Macclesfield in the 30's and 40's of the same name.
But couldn't recall any of their names though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but it's moved the post up the board and maybe someone will have their memory jogged by this. ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cecilianyleve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: twemlows
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 14:48 GMT (UK) »
In an indenture (privately owned) dealing with land in Congleton, Cheshire, dated 1783, is a reference to a Twemlow:

"And also all those two Closes or pieces of Land called Pit Field adjoining together and lying behind or on the West side of Lands late of William Bayley alderman deceased and now of John Bayley his Son and on the West side of the said Lane called Dog Lane in Congleton aforesaid in the holding or occupation of James Twemlow Cooper as Tenant to the same John Vardon containing by Estimation Five days work of Land be the same more or less"

WB Stephens (Ed.), History of Congleton, Manchester University Press, 1970, lists James Twemlow as Mayor 1800-1 and 1810-1 (Yates's History of Congleton, pub. 1821, gives James Twemlow as an Alderman), and mentions that John Twemlow, a cabinet maker, left £800 in 1830 (see Chester Record Office, Wills).