Author Topic: Chingford......  (Read 2276 times)

Offline juneg27

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Chingford......
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
would anyone be able to tell me the nearest parish to Chingford.I dont seem to be able to see the parish of Chingford anywhere so it must have come under something else. I am not very familiar with Essex. I am trying to find baptism records for Chingford.
hoping sdomeone is able to help with this.
regards, JUNE.

Offline SueK50

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chingford......
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 07:22 BST (UK) »
Not an expert by any means - but there appear to be 2 parish churches that cover Chingford -

St Peter and St Paul - Essex Record Office have copies of some Registers - but they suggest  the originals are at the Vestry House Museum in Walthamstow

See - http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/rd/vestry-house/

All Saints looks to have been an earlier church for the area - a quick search doesn't seem to bring up any suggestion of where the Registers might be - but I'm guessing the Museum will likely know

Good Luck
Sue

Offline juneg27

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sue,
will certainly check this one out. it is just that I found a marriage in 1806 which said was in Chingford.
many thanks to you.
JUNE.

Offline chingdevil

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
All Saints was originally called St Peter & St Paul, in the early 1800's they built a new church which took that name. All these records are in Vestry House Museum, as far as I know they do not do any look ups.

Sorry for being late with this reply, but I have only just joined Rootschat.

Brian
Chingford

Offline Mrs Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Brian.  All my grandparents came from Chingford and my mother says when as a young woman she used to tell people she was from Chingford, they used to think she must be very posh, as Chingford had that reputation.

All my happiest childhood memories are of being in Chingford with my paternal grandmother, who lived in a flat in Cherrydown Avenue with my great-grandmother, Nell Redfearn.  I remember being taken to Maynards to buy sweets and ice creams.  Happy days!