Author Topic: Master Mariners DAVIS in Waterford The Glen  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Master Mariners DAVIS in Waterford The Glen
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about my gt gt grandfather Joseph Davis who was a master mariner living in Waterford between 1853-1895.  His father also Joseph Davis was a Master's Mate in Waterford from approx 1848-1888.  He originated from Portland, Dorset. 

Does anyone have some expertise on the maritime history of Waterford at that time? Were there special links between Portland and Waterford?  It seems odd that the whole family uprooted from Portland in 1848 only to end up back there again by 1891.

Also the 1877 Waterford Directory lists Joseph Davis as living at 12 the Glen, Waterford.  Are there any other directories that list trades/ professions from 1848-1895?  Does anyone know of any maps or photos of the Glen from that era?

Many thanks.  This is my first time posting so please excuse any errors.

Helen Louise

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners DAVIS in Waterford The Glen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
you can view Griffith's valuation maps (c1860s) on this website - http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php The Glen should be shown on the Waterford City map.

I cant think of any particular link between Waterford and Portland, but I presume that the most likely explanation is that Joesph moved there with his family due to his employment.

There are a couple of Davis entries in Waterford City listed the National Directories (Slaters '70,'81,'94) but none in any shipping related trades, or on the Glen. Local directories may be available with more comprehensive listing.

Waterford libraries have on online system, where you can search several directories - see : http://www.waterfordcountylibrary.ie/en/familyhistory/tradedirectories/

one of the listings included is  :

Joseph Davis, 12 The Glen
 Occ: Master Mariner
 Src: Wenham Harvey & Co., The Waterford Almanack And Directory 1877
 Page: 153

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane for your help.  I think I shall have to pay a visit to Waterford as I can't find out anymore info online.

HL

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
When your in Waterford City, go to the Library in Lady Lane, there is loads of information there , also look at this book "Shipbuilding in Waterford 1820-1888" by Bill Irish, that  will be able to help you in your search for information,

Offline Helen Louise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you vasaborg for the book recommendation and info.

HL