Author Topic: Any sign of Thomas Isherwood in any of the Census ?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Any sign of Thomas Isherwood in any of the Census ?
« on: Thursday 10 September 09 23:48 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help please ? I'm looking for Thomas Isherwood in any of the Census's before or after his marriage to Ann Macferson in 1865 at the Oldham registry office.

I do know that Thomas and Ann had a son named George Middleton Isherwood and he was born in 1867 subdistrict "Chadderton" registered "Oldham" . ( copyright of Lancashire BMD ) . His Mothers maiden name is spelled differently as McPherson in that transcription.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks
Tony.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any sign of Thomas Isherwood in any of the Census ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
When & where do mother & child appear in census?

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry Pauline if my posting didn't make any sense. I got the information about Thomas and Anns sons Birth on the lancashire BMD. On there it showed the Mothers Maiden name as McPherson ( which is Ann ).

I guess I was hoping that maybe they could be found on the 1871 Census and more than likely they would be in the Oldham area. If that was found then I would know the approximate age of Thomas and would be able to trace him back to an earlier census.

I'm just posting for my Sister who was just over here ( Canada ) from England and was interested in tracing her late husbands family in the U.K.

Tony.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is looking like Thomas had died by 1876.  There is a marriage of an Annie Isherwood formerly McPhireson to a James T Fletcher at Oldham according to LancashireBMD. 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
IF we knew ANYTHING about the mother & child in years after 1865 then we could for example use that detail to look for them with the father of the child. At the moment you can't even give us the age & birthplace of the mother or when/where or IF that child married...

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I suspect she was the Anne Fletcher on the 1881 census, aged 39 born Oldham and living in Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire with husband James T Fletcher and son George aged 13 born Oldham who is listed as being a Fletcher.   ::) 

Still doesn`t help much does it?

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
Ann Isherwood aged 29, married, born in Oldham is a domestic servant, living in lodgings in Failsworth in 1871.

[Census ref:Class: RG10/ Piece: 4065/ Folio: 73/ Page: 22]

Neither Thomas nor George are with her.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the help. I do have some more information about George Middleton Isherwood but I don't think this will help either Pauline.

( copyright Lancashire BMD )
George Middleton Isherwood married Sarah Owen in 1895 at Christ Church in Chadderton , Oldham , Lancashire.

I believe that I mentioned his birth (George Middleton Isherwood ) in a previous posting as being 1867 sub-district Chadderton , Registers at Oldham. Mothers Maiden name McPherson.
(again copyright Lancashire BMD).

I'm sorry I don't have any other information.  I will ask my Sister to send for Thomas Isherwood and Ann Macfersons marriage certificate from 1865 and maybe that will shed a bit more light on this.

Thanks again
Tony.