Author Topic: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?  (Read 30571 times)

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Tiggercat,
The access is good, a bit of undergrowth and a large tree growing in the grave behind.
There is a stone.
take some secateurs to get better access and a decent photo.
When you start pacing the graves out make sure you count from the Wainhouse tower end.
10 rows up and 9th in the row.
Regards,
Andy
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline Britexpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 05 April 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew not been in contact with you for a while as I lost my sister a year ago (78yrs), however I don't know whether you can help yet again as you did a splendid job on locating my grandad / grandmothers grave of which we cleaned up. My dilema now is finding my dads first wife's grave! Let me give you an insight into this. My father Otis Robinson Married Annie Elizabeth Peacock and they had two children D'Arcy Robinson & Connie Robinson (even though half they were always known to me as brother and sister) D'Arcy lived in Canada and died in 1972 quite young and my sister Connie was mentally handicapped and is the one that passed away last year in care at Rastrick. Annie Elizabeth Robinson (nee Peacock) died in childbirth with Connie that is why she was handicapped, then later my dad remarried that is where I came on the scene, I have no photos of my dads first wife nor do I know where she was buried I guess because of what happened  she was erased from memories as it was so sad!! So I would love to find where she was laid to rest if it is possible she died 2nd May 1933 and was born Oct 1898 I am quite willing to give you permission and access to my family tree if that would help on Ancestry all I need I believe is your email. Kind Regards and hope you are of good health. Patrick Robinson

Offline GTrout

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 24 March 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Anyone want a grave finding in King Cross methodist graveyard let me know, i will gladly search for them, as some of you  have said, you need a machete and stout stick in place to get through the overgrown jungle.
I have replied to Nugirl with the directions to the grave she is looking for.
Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm a new user here, and can't yet send a private message.

I'm hoping you can help me find two burial plots at this cemetery:
     Hannah Pickles  died 3-Sept-1878  buried  5-Sept-1878
     James Pickles   died 15-Jan-1885   buried  17-Jan-1885

These are my 4th great-grandparents, and it would mean a great deal to me if their graves could finally be located.  I found some handwritten notes that indicate they are buried at "Moor Lane Capel, King Cross", which I believe is the same.

Thank-you kindly for any help can offer. 

Regards,
George Trout
gtrout@austin.rr.com

Offline OvendenPriestley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
New to RootsChat and read with great interest the remarkable work of those who have done research in this cemetery.  It is highly likely that my ancestor, John Priestley (ca1810-ca1840), was buried in this cemetery as his daughter Ellen was baptized at Ebenezer Chapel Primitive Methodist in 1831.  His last child was born in 1838 and he was gone by the 1841 census.  The family was also connected with South Parade Methodist.  His wife, Lydia (nee) Blackburn appears in the 1841 census as a widow and later married a Jowett.

Can anyone advise on how to follow up on this?  John Priestley has been my brick wall for years!

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 05 October 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Ovenden Priestley.
The chapel graveyard was removed in 1905 for road widening.
All internments were re buried in Stony Royd cemetery in Halifax.
I have not come across any records of the old internments but Calderdale Bereavement services could be able to help you.
Park Wood Crematorium is the repository of al the Calderdale grave books and other information.

Telephone number is: 01422 372293.
Also there is a small piece on the chapel in he link below.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/c109_e.html#e9
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline ReeRee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 31 October 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Anyone want a grave finding in King Cross methodist graveyard let me know, i will gladly search for them, as some of you  have said, you need a machete and stout stick in place to get through the overgrown jungle.

Regards,
Andy
I've cancelled the request to you Andy as I've further searched and found he's not my line of ancesters.
Thankyou
Lynda
Goldthorpe name in the Barnsley, South Yorkshire area.

Gawthorpe in Newmillerdam area

Duffin in Ryhill

Gallear/Gallier or Callear in Shropshire, Staffordshire and Yorkshire.