Author Topic: GREGORY of Westhoughton, Lancs  (Read 7269 times)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
GREGORY of Westhoughton, Lancs
« on: Saturday 05 March 05 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any descendants/information of GREGORY family. Mostly descended from:

James GREGORY (b.1806-Hindley,Lancashire d.12 Sep 1859-Lancs & Yorks Railway Line,Wigan)
sp: Mary SEDDON (b.17 May 1806-Westhoughton,Lancashire m.1 Sep 1828 d.18 Aug 1858-Hindley Mill Lane,Castle Hill,Hindley,Wigan)

OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GREGORY of Westhoughton, Lancs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 07 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It is too much of a coincident that you have Gregory and Dootson in your family.

My husband's mother was Sarah Ellen Gregory - married to George Ernest Moores.

Her father was Henry Gregory b 1875 m Ann Wilkes b 1872

His father was James Gregory b 1828 Westhoughton m Elisabeth Dootson b 1852 .

m 1875.

His father was Henry Gregory b 1802 m Alice Ormerod b 1807 m 1823.

Do any of these names tie in with yours?
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Lindy, nice to meet you.

I'm afraid that I have no obvious connections with your GREGORY and DOOTSON names. But of course you will know that they were very common names in the area at that time.

Whilst I (with massive assistance from a GREGORY cousin) have 72 GREGORY members in my tree up to now, the earliest we can get back with this line with any certainty is to 1806 - which was the birth of James in Hindley, he married Mary SEDDON in 1828.

I'm going to attach my full list of GREGORY names so that you can see if any of them match yours.

The DOOTSON name is a real puzzler and the explanation about it is too lengthy for here. If you would like to know more about it you can email me direct at Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You and I'll send you the story.

Hope to hear more from you.
Joan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Lester Tiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
My father was Thomas Gregory born 28 1 1900 at 42, Hindley Rd, Westhoughton.
His mother was Alice (nee Rigby)
He had a brother James and a sister Mary.
My grandfather was called Henry, shown as a coal miner on my father's birth certificatealthough my father always said that he was a butcher by trade.

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Lester Tiger,

Sorry about the delay in this reply but I didn't realise that we don't get email notification for this sort of posting.

Anyway, the GREGORY name was a fairly common one in the Hindley area back in the 1800's. I can't find a connection to your Henry GREGORY and Alice RIGBY though. No doubt if you go back far enough in history a connection could be found but I haven't got there yet. I'm sorry about that because it's always good to find new cousins.

Funny thing is that I do have a Thomas born at that time but with parents James GREGORY and Ellen BENNETT.

Regards,
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Lester Tiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Ozzie Joan,

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on my posting. My father's family are a great mystery to me since I had little  contact with any of them except for that with my father. I met my aunt Mary and my grandfather only once in the 1950s. Mary was caring for her father, was married to a Mr Hoult 0r Holt. lived in Walkden and had several children and grandchildren.
      My name is Robert Gregory and I was born in  London in 1937.

Best wishes,

Lester Tiger

B

Offline dodo938

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Lester Tiger,

I am trying to contact a former National hunt jockey called Bruce Gregory, born in 1944, in connection with a book I am writing. He was at one time based in Kent. You wouldn't happen to have come across him would you?

Many thanks