Author Topic: Baby MAYO crosses the Atlantic twice twix 1885 and 1891  (Read 879 times)

Offline edwinblackmore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baby MAYO crosses the Atlantic twice twix 1885 and 1891
« on: Monday 14 September 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
I have no record to collaborate whether or not family hearsay handed down regarding my grandmother ELLEN EMILY BLACKMORE nee NELLIE MAYO is true.

Nellie Mayo as born in Pontypridd South Wales in 1885 to ROBERT MAYO (born Longdon Worcs. in 1861) and EMILY ADAMS (born 1865 in Pontypridd). The family emigrated to the USA where mother Emily died whilst father James moved on to Australia.  Baby Nellie was apparently returned to her grandparents in the UK with the help of the Salvation Army. 

Nellie appears on the 1891 census as a 5 year old living with her grandparents
ROBERT and SARAH ADAMS near Pontypridd, (both grandparents were born in North Petherton Somerset.

Nellie next appears in the 1891 Chilton Trinity census as a 15 year old Domestic Servant at  Chi;ton Farm Bridgwater.  Nellie (ELLEN EMILY) met WALTER EDWIN BLACKMORE (born Swansea 1885 in Bridgwater Docks?  and were married in Pontypridd in  1903.

My father before he died insisted that family relatives  ADAMS, COLES and BLACKMORE lived in the Bridgwater / Chilton Trinity area.

Is there anyone who can help me solve this trans-atlantic puzzle.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Edwin Blackmore 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Baby MAYO crosses the Atlantic twice twix 1885 and 1891
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't see this as a transatlantic puzzle as there does not seem to be any Mayo connection to Somerset

You already know that Robert & Sarah Adams were from Somerset

Walter Edwin Blackmore was the son of Walter Edwin and Lucy Ann who were both born Bridgewater Somerset
English 1891 census ref RG12 Piece 2872 Folio 45 Page 82

Marriages March qtr 1884 

Walter Edwin Blackmore Swansea  11a 868
Lucy Clements

I can't see where the surname Coles fits in with the other 2 families

You would have to use earlier census info to trace the Adams and Blackmore family history
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)