Author Topic: Do You Know William Morrison  (Read 3446 times)

Offline geoff865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do You Know William Morrison
« on: Wednesday 16 September 09 13:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out information about my paternal grandfather William Morrison.

The only definite information I have about him is from the certificate of his marriage to my grandmother Irene Eacups. They married in Bournemouth on 25th May 1932, when according to his marriage certificate, he was 25 years old. I know that, at the time, he was a vegetable chef in The Durley Dean Hotel, Bournemouth (Irene also worked in the hotel). William's father on the certificate is John Robert Morrison, his occupation is shown as being a gardener.

William and Irene had three children, ---------------------. All three children were raised by Irene's relatives (mother and sister) in Nantyglo whilst Irene and William worked in Bournemouth

For reasons unknown to me, William and Irene parted and apart from occasional visits, my father lost contact with his father William.

As is usual with that generation, these matters were not discussed openly and the only other information I have about William is that members of my grandmother's family said that he was Scottish.

Irene died in Bournemouth in 1998.

I would be grateful for any information, however small, about William Morrison. I would also be grateful if anyone can give me any pointers on how I can progress my research into this branch of my family.

Moderator's Comment: Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so if anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.
Eacups - Gloucestershire  Morrison - Bournemouth/Scotland  Mitchell - Oxfordshire/Berkshire  Bustin - Oxfordshire/Berkshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Know William Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
If you check freebmd - there are only 2 John Robert Morrison marriages between 1891-1908 - both in the North East

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

There are a few William Morrison births on freebmd in the North East (as well as elsewhere) around 1906/1907

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline geoff865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
I apologise for my transgression of the rules.  :o

CaroleW,

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly check those out.
Eacups - Gloucestershire  Morrison - Bournemouth/Scotland  Mitchell - Oxfordshire/Berkshire  Bustin - Oxfordshire/Berkshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have attempted to reseach a John Morrison on behalf of a friend with just about the same amount of info you have - from a marriage cert

It's a nightmare and I had to give up in the end

Using the venue for the 1904 marriage - Gateshead - there is this birth on freebmd

Births March qtr 1906 

William Morrison  Gateshead  10a 1059

Using the Hartlepool one does not get any results

It's just guesswork unfortunately
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline geoff865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  I have tried searching on Scotlandspeople, but with the limited amount of information I have I would be better off looking for the proverbial needle.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 September 09 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

In relative terms "John Robert* (* includes any "John Roberts")  is not a common first-names combination in Scotland  - between 1855 and 2006 only 88  births show up on SP.

SP only have 5 x John Robert MORRISON marriages 1855-1915.
Between 1881 and 1909, there is only 1 - and that was in 1906.

It's a long shot, but:
Family stories say William was Scottish
The marriage is near to William's birth year

If the above marriage showed this JR to be a Gardener of some description.....

What about William's marriage to Irene. Have you identified the witness' to that marriage?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
HI

That one marriage in 1906 shows the grooms occupation as being a Clerk in a Memorial Institute and shows he is aged 32.

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline geoff865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 September 09 08:10 BST (UK) »
AMBLY,

Thank you for your response. I shall certainly follow this up.

With regard to the witnesses to the marriage, we believe that they were friends/colleagues also working in the hotel.

Regards

Geoff

Offline geoff865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
Wendy,

Thanks for that. Your post was added whilst I was replying to AMBLY.

Unfortunately I don't know how reliable is the information I have.

I guess that unless someone who actually knew William Morrison comes forward it will only ever be supposition that any person I find is the correct one.

I wish it were possible to access tax records, National Insurance details etc because it would make life so much easier.

Geoff