Author Topic: Why was Uncle Joe in Victorian Albany, WA  (Read 4593 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Uncle Joe in Victorian Albany, WA
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 September 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
JAMES STUCKEY apparently died in circumstances requiring an inquest.
In the Albany Advertiser 21/2/ 1890, a notice appeared..... in summary.
"A benefit Concert will be held in the Town Hall on 7th March on behalf of Mrs  Stuckey whose husband was killed on the railway ..."

A search on
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

also will give further information about the death of JAMES STUCKEY
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daniels-mum

• RootsChat Member
  • David Clark 1843-1903 & Emma Clark(Jones)1841-1941
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 September 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies - you are all brilliant!  I had no idea that Joseph's middle name was Philip. However, I have now found his baptism in London Births & Baptisms - 21 Jan 1849 in Hackney (which I knew was where they lived). I already knew his parents were Edward and Sarah and they are also listed in the baptism record.  His birth was registered in Dec 1846 (the age is a bit wrong on his grave).  So the Joseph Phililp Barnard you found is definitely our Uncle Joe. On the back of the photo it says "For Lizzie from Aunt and Uncle Joe" so we knew he was married, but not what his wife was called until now.

Thanks again for all your help.  ;D

Helen
AMBLER (Lincs) CLARK (West Felton, Shrops) EDWARDS (Yate, Dodington, Glos, Chester, Llan-y-Pwll, Kinnerley, Llandrinio) ELLA (Malton/Welton, Yorks) JOHNSON (Roos/Welton,Yorks) HOPKINS (London) JONES (Great Ness/Whittington/Wellington) MORLEY (Welton/Sutton, Yorks) PAYNE (Abbot's Langley, Herts) STARK (Poltimore, Devon) STE(A)DMAN (Acton Burnell, Shrops) SURRIDGE (Broadclyst, Devon) VICK (Tetbury, Glos) WILLIAMS (Ellesmere, Shrops)

Offline Daniels-mum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the actual parish register online and noticed that they had all four of their youngest children (Charles, Joseph, Walter & Richard) ranging from age 6 to 1 baptised on the same day!  Must have been pretty busy!  :)

Helen
AMBLER (Lincs) CLARK (West Felton, Shrops) EDWARDS (Yate, Dodington, Glos, Chester, Llan-y-Pwll, Kinnerley, Llandrinio) ELLA (Malton/Welton, Yorks) JOHNSON (Roos/Welton,Yorks) HOPKINS (London) JONES (Great Ness/Whittington/Wellington) MORLEY (Welton/Sutton, Yorks) PAYNE (Abbot's Langley, Herts) STARK (Poltimore, Devon) STE(A)DMAN (Acton Burnell, Shrops) SURRIDGE (Broadclyst, Devon) VICK (Tetbury, Glos) WILLIAMS (Ellesmere, Shrops)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 September 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
(Charles, Joseph, Walter & Richard) ranging from age 6 to 1 baptised on the same day!  Must have been pretty busy! 

Helen

To your knowledge, was Joseph the only brother to come to Australia?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daniels-mum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 September 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Good question. I don't know for certain. Charles got married in England in 1871,  but that's all I know about the brothers to date. I will try and dig a bit more.

Helen

Offline tarynegriffin86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 October 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not too sure if you are still searching for information on Joseph P Barnard but I'm his Step Great Great grand daughter and I have some information that you may find interesting if you are still looking.

Kind Regards
Taryne

Offline Daniels-mum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not too sure if you are still searching for information on Joseph P Barnard but I'm his Step Great Great grand daughter and I have some information that you may find interesting if you are still looking.

Kind Regards
Taryne

Hi Taryne, Yes that would be great if you have any information that you can share. I would be grateful (we have only one photo of him). His sister Harriet Barnard was my husband's great-great grandmother.

Kind regards,

Helen

Offline tarynegriffin86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

As you know he married Sarah Stuckey my great great grandmother in 1893 but what you might not know is that 1 year before they married they had a daughter called Dorothea. Most information points to James Stuckey being Dorothea's father but he died 3 years before she was born. Unfortunately Dorothea died at 1 yr old. My nan and I are obtaining her death certificate this week to confirm that Joseph was her father and to also find out how she died as her 5 yr old half sister Mabel also died the same year.
We will also be visiting his grave in the coming weeks and I would be happy to send you a photo if you wanted.

I hope this information is interesting for you :)
Thanks
Taryne

Offline Daniels-mum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 October 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=5443844;topic=406794.9;last_msg=5443844#

As you know he married Sarah Stuckey my great great grandmother in 1893 but what you might not know is that 1 year before they married they had a daughter called Dorothea. Most information points to James Stuckey being Dorothea's father but he died 3 years before she was born. Unfortunately Dorothea died at 1 yr old. My nan and I are obtaining her death certificate this week to confirm that Joseph was her father and to also find out how she died as her 5 yr old half sister Mabel also died the same year.
We will also be visiting his grave in the coming weeks and I would be happy to send you a photo if you wanted.

I hope this information is interesting for you :)
Thanks
Taryne

Hi Taryne, Thank  you - that's all very interesting! I would love a photo of his grave thanks. I'll pm you my email address. I also posted the portrait photograph we have of him on the photo restoration board, and I'll give you the link below so you can see the lovely restored/colour versions people have done. On that thread there is also a photo I posted of 42 Mile Camp that we have, and I think he is also on that photo.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=406552.msg2746146#msg2746146

Many thanks.

Helen