Author Topic: Collins family  (Read 33487 times)

Offline shehen23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collins family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 October 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
I have an extensive tree featuring a large number of the travelling families of the South but I have hit a total brick wall with the Collins line and I would really appreciate any help at all.   My great-grandfather was Leonard Collins  1899-12 Dec 1968. I know his father was also Leonard but I don't know his mother's name.  Can anybody please help?
Hedges, Collins, Ayres, Lee, Eastwood, Matthews, Finney, Brazil, Beldom, Winter, Gregory, Hughes, Boswell,

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 October 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Shehen23

When/where does your Leonard first turn up and where did he live?
Do you know if he had any siblings?
When you say his father was also Leonard, would this be information from the marriage certificate or family lore?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shehen23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 October 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying.  My Great-Grandfather Leonard Collins married Maude Eastwood in Mitcham, Surrey in 1919 but generally they travelled in Kent.
He had sisters Sarah Ann & Priscilla & a half sister who was known as Golie (I don't know what this stands for).
Golie used the surname Coates so we think their mother was also a Coates but we don't know.  Her name may have also been Priscilla but again we can't be sure.
I'm pretty sure their father was Leonard as my grandmother who is in her 80's remembers him quite well. Unfortunately, on the marriage certificate there is a blank space under 'Fathers Name' which is not very helpful!
There may have been other siblings that we are not aware of as I believe some of the family stayed in Kent whereas G Grandad Leonard eventually settled in Berkshire/Surrey.
I have searched & searched but I cannot find any trace of the family. However, I don't know Kent at all. Place names that have been mentioned are Chatham & Cray's pit but they could just have easily have referred to the Eastwood side of the family.
Any small bit of info would be appreciated.
Hedges, Collins, Ayres, Lee, Eastwood, Matthews, Finney, Brazil, Beldom, Winter, Gregory, Hughes, Boswell,

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 October 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Shehen23

Seeing some of the names youve mentioned has made me think it might be worth posting some of the others i have on my tree.

Ive got Frank Collins,son of Francis(Frank) marrying Amy(Amelia)Mobey,daughter of John Mobey and Betsy Herne.

Betsy had a brother Joseph(Job)Herne who married Councelette Dixie j/f/m 1893 Bromley.She was born in Wandsworth in 1873.

I have Councelettes brother Philip born 1874 Battersea marrying Maud Ella Eastwood 24/12/1894 at St Andrews,Earlsfield.

Philip and Councellete had siblings Lydia,Patience,Britannia,Leonard,James and Anna.I have partners for most if you need them.

Parents Edward Dixey and Sarah Eastwood.

Back to Collins,i have William Collins born 1840 Ashford,Kent as Frank snrs brother,wife Elizabeth(Betsy) ??? born 1841 Danehill,Sussex.

Their children Walter,Priscilla,Susan,Matilda,Sarah Ann,Lucy and Albert,all born around Kent,mostly Ashford,Tonbridge except Walter the eldest born Croydon.

Albert married to Augusta Coates born 1879 Epsom,daughter of William Coates and Jane Eastwood who married o/n/d 1870 Southwark.

Augusta two sibs Caroline born 1877 Sevenoaks and William born 1871 Epsom.

William Coates snr brother Daniel born 1844 Ilford wife unknown.

Son James born 1877 Epsom marries Elizabeth Collins born 1876 Ashford,Kent.

Children James,Betsy and Sally all born Fulham.

Father of Daniel and William is Daniel born 1824 place unknown.

You may have this if not it might help.Its from my own research,some yet to be confirmed with certs.

Im not the best at unravelling complicated puzzels,but you or one of the better researchers might be able to pick up some leads.

Hope this helps and would be very intrested in anything you can add.

All the bet,

Nel.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 October 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
Possible ???

There is Leonard COATES son of Daniel & Priscilla baptised 8 Jan 1899 St Peter Fulham (basket maker of Elliott's Estate)

They appear to be among the group of families living in caravans at Princes Road, Mitcham at the time of the 1901 census ie.

Daniel COATES head mar 40 b.(not known)
Priscilla wife 34 b.(not known)
Sally dau 16 b.Norwood Surrey
Daniel son 12 b.Balham
Leonard son 8 b.Balham
Albert son 2 b.Balham

RG13/654 folio 121 page 54

I'm wondering if Leonard's age in the census is correct ie. should it be 2 which would fit with the baptism ???

Is there any other information on Leonard's marriage certificate which might be useful ie. address/names of witnesses ???  Did he see WW1 service would you know?

Offline Barney123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 October 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
hi

can any one help my grandfather belcher barnard had a sister called emily barnard who married tom collins in west ashford in 1932 apart from that i dont know much more my father as said they were 'old fashioned travellers

Offline Emily V C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Barney

I have read many post of yours on this site and i have left replies to them.
You have written on here.....................

(can any one help my grandfather belcher barnard had a sister called emily barnard who married tom collins in west ashford in 1932 apart from that i dont know much more my father as said they were 'old fashioned travellers)

Your grandfather is my grandmothers brother.  My Gran was Emily Barnard who married my grandad Thomas Collins.  They had two children Thomas and Emily, Thomas (Tom/Tommy) is my dad.

I have been reading the threads above and i have little info on the Collins family side (all from Kent).  My grans side of the family is Barnard, Lee, Eastwood, Buckley, Gumble.  I would love to know more about the Eastwood side i only have 2 Eastwoods in my family tree.  Any pics would also be apprieciated.
Hope to hear from you soon
Emily Collins

Offline Barney123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emily

thanks for message....you are the first person from the barnard side of the family that i have had contact with,would love to know more about your granny Emily?........i have some photos that i will share with you..do you have any? and how do i send them as this site is new to me really Emily

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 18:52 GMT (UK) »
You can post photographs of deceased persons on the site here on Rootschat by clicking the "attach a photograph or image" option beneath the main message when you reply to a post here or otherwise you can exchange personal email addresses (the Rootschat personal message system doesn't allow the sending of images) by clicking on the scroll beneath somebody's name to the left of one of their posts.  I hope that makes sense.