Author Topic: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall complete thanks  (Read 4785 times)

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall complete thanks
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching my family tree I have received some help from Kington History Society regarding my Great Grandfather Frederick Townsend.  He was born in abt 1865 - the 1901 census shows he was born in Hereford whereas the 1911 census says Malvern ? The KHS have managed to find some info on microfiche confirming that he died in 1920, and the microfiche record also says he was born in Holmer, which I believe is near to Hereford ? He married Mary Ann (nee Lloyd) in 1898 - I have been unable to find him on a census record prior to his marriage tho according to the KHS the microfiche record shows that in 1891 he was lodging with Charles Billings at Upper House,  Lyonshall - when he died in 1920 it says he died at Upper Hall, Floodgates - would anybody be able to confirm if Upper Hall was in fact in Floodgates or Lyonshall and if the property still exists ????  Also if anybody is able to find Frederick on the census records prior to his marriage I would be most grateful ....  I am also trying to discover where Frederick was buried - I assumed it would be at the Parish Church that he and Mary Ann married at but this does not appear to be the case, maybe he was buried at Kington Cemetery - who would I have to ask to confirm this ? I may then find out if Mary Ann is buried with him and the date she died ....... Sorry for so many questions !
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall ? Where buried?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
The 1891 census reference is RG12/2077/129/6 
Upper House, Lyonshall
Charles Billing  H  Mar  33  Farmer  Warwickshire, Aston
Sarah Ellen Acton Billing  W  Mar  33  Herefordshire, Lyonshall
Thomas Henry Billing 8mnth  Herefordshire, Lyonshall
Alice East  serv  23  Dom Serv  Herefordshire, Much MArcle
Fred Townsend  serv  25  Engine Drive  Herefordshire, Holmer

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall ? - now complete thanks
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response - I also found this last night but thanks for looking - I think this confirms it was in Lyonshall not Floodgates dont you ? I think I have also found Frederick at a much younger age living with his Father and siblings in a place Cradley, Herefordshire which in fact today comes up as Malvern, Worcestershire - it says on the 1911 census that he was born in Malvern when in fact he was born in Holmer just outside Hereford and then was brought up in Malvern before moving to Knighton and then Kington !!! But at least now the mystery is solved and I have managed to find some of his family ..... I am still trying to find out where Frederick/Fred/Fredrick was buried but I am hoping that I can get this info either from the records office or the local council - maybe bereavement services or similar ???
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall ?now complete thanks
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Kington History Society have copies of the records for burial in the Kington Cemetery I bleive.

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Puffcat !! I suspect that Mary Ann and Frederick are buried together in Kington cemetery - we went to the cemetery to see if we could find it but unfortunately no joy and no one to ask - have previously asked Kington FHS for help but understand that they are short staffed and it is voluntary so will have to be patient ......................... But thanks again for your help
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
Why not order the death certificates, they will not tell you where they are buried but at least where they were living, and who with etc at the time of death.

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found out that they were living in Kington not Knighton as my Dad believed- he died at Upper Hall, Lyonshall at the age of approx 55 (tho according to early census records his age would have been abt 53) Upper Hall was his place of work .... I am actually trying to find out where they are both buried but would suspect it to be Kington cemetery.  We did take a look around the cemetery but couldnt find anything - but it maybe that they are buried there with no headstone - unfortunately there is no one there that you can ask.  I have tried contacting Hereford bereavement services by phone with no success, have emailed them but no got a response. 

Where did you find Mary Anns details of death ??

Thanks

EAC
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline vic1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall complete thanks
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
the church yard was altered at the beggining of the 20 th century - i don't think they were using the municpal then but can't be sure - contact the kington museum as they will be able to help you - some of the curchyard headstone were  removed andused to pave over the school yard whenthey altered the road and the person who explained this at school, is involved with kington museum . I am sure they 'll tell you what they can on this .( I attended the school  it was a bit scary to go to the loo and read head stones!!!as they were all theway round and the girls toilets were added in the forties!
pembrokeshire Coates,Rees, Williams
galmorgan Coates Williams Francis
brecknock stephens Driscoll lewis Webb Jones price
herefordshire Jones page savager price carwardine
radnorshire Rees savager Jones

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Hall, Floodgates/Lyonshall complete thanks
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vic1 I have since found out that they are both buried in Kington cemetery in separate shallow graves .... I also found out that they were living at Upper Hall/Floodgates at the time, and that Frederick liked his beer, had fallen over the night b4 bumped his head and the following evening he died, in fact he was found outside by his younger son ....how tragic
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia