Author Topic: Charlotte CB Cave of St Saviour, Jersey  (Read 3646 times)

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte CB Cave of St Saviour, Jersey
« on: Monday 21 September 09 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I am researching the widow Charlotte CB Cave who at the time of the 1881 census was living with her sister and nephew at No. 2 Clifford Place, St. Saviour Parish, Jersey.

Charlotte's husband had been the Rev JCB Cave, 7th son of Thomas CB Cave of Cliff House, Warwickshire.  There is an outside possibility that he had been the Anglican minister in the parish...

Could some one tell me what that area would have been like in the 1880s? We know that the sisters had been living since the 1850s "with own means", but we are trying to determine exactly what type of life those means would have afforded.

Thank for your assistance!

Lili
Researching the descendants of John Eddie Kennedy & Jean Burns of Falkirk, Denny and Kilsyth.  They were married 15 Feb 1822 in Cumbernault, Dunbarton, Scotland.  They had 12 children - 4 died young, 2 followed their husbands to Australia and 6 came to Canada with them in 1852/3.  Any help at all is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte CB Cave of St Saviour, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lili

St Saviour is one of the largest Parish's on the island and stretches from the coast, through what is referred to as "town" out into the country. It was therefore essential that I found out where Clifford Place was, as it certainly doesn't exists now.

Looking at the surrounding streets in the 1881 census, I determined that it was in what is known as these days as the Five Oaks area (about a mile from where I live)! This would have been rural.

Number 1 Clifford Place was called Bradgate House. There is a house of this name but this is a modern house built in 1991. However, it stands to reason that it is built on or near the original site. Certainly none of the maps from late 1800's are in sufficient detail to show Clifford Place. Coincidentally, there are Cave Cottages next door!!!

There is a computer system available locally which records property transactions but it has to be done by name not address. There is no record of a Cave or a Doudney.

So, all I can tell you is that it was in a rural location on the main road into St Helier, near a brickworks!

Incidentally, the Archive Centre has two wills for people who have lived at number 2. A Rachel Fryer dated 16th April 1889 and Edward Faithful Thomas dated 1st September 1910.

Stewart

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart!

Thank you!  I really appreciate the time you took to look at this for me.

It really helps with the time line... As Rachel Fryer was there until April of 1889, I can at least now determine that the sisters and their nephew were else where prior to that date.

Thank you again for your help.

Lili
Researching the descendants of John Eddie Kennedy & Jean Burns of Falkirk, Denny and Kilsyth.  They were married 15 Feb 1822 in Cumbernault, Dunbarton, Scotland.  They had 12 children - 4 died young, 2 followed their husbands to Australia and 6 came to Canada with them in 1852/3.  Any help at all is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lili

One small correction to what you said:

Rachel Fryer was there until April of 1889

The will was signed in 1889 but not executed until 4th Match 1907. So she was there beyond 1889. However as you rightly say, at least it gives a time-line as to when CC left

Stewart

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again.

Lili

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte CB Cave of St Saviour & St Helier, Jersey
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all the help on this one.  Found some more:

From the eleventh volume of the " Visitation of England and Wales " printed at Private Press, edited by Frederick Arthur Crisp, 1903, it is noted that:
“Rev. Jordayne Cave-Browne-Cave,born at Cliff Hall 17 February 1843, bapt. at Kingsbury 8 August 1844; Curate of Kilmington, co. Devon, and a Missionary of British Columbia 1862-70; died s.p. at 20 Wellesley Terrace, Belmont Road, St. Helier, Jersey, 12 December 1879. Will dated 6 October 1875, proved (Prin. Reg., 12, 80) 14 January 1880, by Charlotte Cave-Browne-Cave of 20 Wellesley Terrace, Belmont Road, St. Helier, Jersey, the relict, the sole Executrix.

Charlotte Dewdney, marr. at St. Mary's, Sapperton (by the Bishop of British Columbia, assisted by the Rev. E. Hayman), on Thursday, 5 December 1867. She marr. firstly Edward Wright of Penzance, co Cornwall.”

Can anyone tell me if 20 Wellesley Terrace on Belmont Road in St. Helier is still there?  Or what kind of a neighbourhood is was back in the 1870s?

Thanks,

Lili

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lil

Wellesley Terrace forms part of Simon Place which runs into Belmont Road. It still exists and forms part of the Jersey List of Historical Buildings. This states

A 2 storey plus basement, 3 bay, plain render town house which is one of a terrace of 4. The slate roof has 2 modern box dormers. The chimney stack which once sat on the gable end has now been removed, as evidenced by the repaired render on the gable end wall. A render pilaster divides this facade with that of the number 26, but is noticably blander than its equivilent at the opposite end of the terrace. The windows are all PVCu replacements in a 6 pane sash style. The main entrance, which is paired with that of number 22, is reached by a substantial set of 12 granite steps. A railing divides the flight with that of number 22 and simpler railings flank either side. The main door is framed within Doric doorcase which integrates with that of number 22. the doorcase is fully complete, including the tablet mouldings on the underside of the frieze which have been lost from numbers 18 and 20. The 4 panelled door is original, and above is a geometric fanlight. The building has been set back from the road, but the low front wall and railings are now mostly gone, with only fragments remaining. The front garden is now a tarmac parking area. The rear of the property was not viewed, but there appear to be outbuildings and a garden.

Hope that helps. I can do a photo if required.

Stewart

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
WOW!  Thank you Stuart...  Wonderfully visual description.  If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see a picture too.

Many thanks, Lili

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Can you send me a PM with your email address. I can probably do the photo middle of next week.

Stewart